• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frontier rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legionair

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on Pedersoli's Frontier Rifle?

Does this seem PC enough for Longhunter, or maybe Militia (pre or post Rev)?

How about Pedersoli the company? :confused: :hmm:

Any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Legion

They look a little bit like some 19th c. rifles. I'm sure the quality is pretty good. For a little more money, you could get a semi-custom rifle from TVM. :winking:

Does this seem PC enough for Longhunter, or maybe Militia (pre or post Rev)?
Depends on what your standards are. I've been to Rev. war events where guns like that are 100% acceptable. Other places you go you'd get laughed out of the event. I guess it depends on the places you go and the people you hang out with. Personally, I'd never be satisfied with it.
There are far better choices than that particular choice.

I have a pedersoli frontier rifle in .32 cal. The gun is great. Shoots good. Looks good. As far as PC I know nothing about that I just like shooting.

i built one of pederosolis flint rifles from a kit,price was good,turned out fine and shoots good. if you dont have a lot of cash, like me, and want a p.c. gun you cant go wrong.

I have the Cabels's version they call the Blue Ridge in .45 flint. I wouldn't call it a "tack driver", about 2" at 50 yards is typical grouping for 5 shots, but I've enjoyed it for about 15 years now which is longer than I've kept any other of the many guns I've owned and I don't expect I'll ever part with it. It is also the only one I ever named.
Does that tell you something? :hmm:

Most consider these as rather generic and post 1800 and kind of PC-ish

Very good option for a factory gun. Pedersoli v good maker with a long reliable track record. Check out their website. My first BP flinter was a Pedersoli 45 Kentucky, and I'm still very fond of it, but the Frontier (= Cabelas Blue Ridge) generally gets a better press on the forum for having a larger lock and being perhaps more 'authentic' (though both are acceptable generic early 19th c forms, I feel, and better researched and designed than some other factory guns).

I have owned and shot Pedersoli's... I have heard of problems with bad breech-plugs that had to be re-shapped on the Frontier Rifles.
For the money I would also suggest going with a TVM RIFLE ... I own a few of them in 36 and 50 calibre' can't be beat !
KEEP YA POWDER DRY

TVM Tennessee Valley Manufactuing. Or Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. One is Jack Garner and the other is Matt Avance.

Some Frontier rifles have a tight breech area ...shaped like a V hard to keep clean.
Lets crud build up etc.
A gunsmith I know has re-shaped a few of em.
Hunt Safe ALL

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky, pretty much the same thing, not a moments trouble and kilt lota critters with it so far. Good shooters.

The lock on the Kentucky is a lot smaller than the Frontier lock. The Frontier lock uses a 7/8" flint and the Kentucky uses a 1/2" or 5/8".

They have a rather odd breechplug. I just removed one and found the threaded portion is unusually long, 1 1/8". The vent liner or nipple drum threads through the barrel and into the side of the plug threads at about the mid point of its' length. The plug is bored from its' front to meet the vent hole. That bore is .220" diameter and about 1/2 in depth.
I had cleaned the barrel with hot water pumped in and out quite energetically before pulling the plug (not an easy thing) but on removal I found that plug still quite choked with powder fouling.
When cleaning these in future I will run a .22 bore brush into that hole. I don't like removing vent liners but I don't believe they can be really cleaned any other way. :shake:

What if you drilled out the powder chamber in the breechplug as far as you safely could and still get the plug in? And then polished the inside of it up real good. Do you think that would be feasable, and if so, would it help?

Latest posts

Back