• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pa hunters. Anyone going squirrel hunting today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone is taking advantage of the earlier squirrel season start this year? I personally am going to wait a week or two. Right now our woods are still too green and there's way too many leaves on the trees. Add to that the warm weather. I'm gping to givevit some more time to cool off and for the spiders to go dormant. Nothing worse than walking through spider webs.

Not from PA but our season in WV opens today also. I am going out with my boy here in a bit. I agree with you about the spiders,and gnats here too but it's going to take more than a few pesky insects to keep us from going squirrel hunting! We wait all year for this.Will be using our 32 cal rifles and balls we cast the other day. I can't wait. Good luck to you when you go.

20200912_074422.jpg

Was out this morning. I could hardly wait for sunrise. The trees are still pretty green for sure. Plenty of acorns up on this flat. I shot this one out of a red oak about twenty yards with my .40 cal.

Wondering if anyone is taking advantage of the earlier squirrel season start this year? I personally am going to wait a week or two. Right now our woods are still too green and there's way too many leaves on the trees. Add to that the warm weather. I'm gping to givevit some more time to cool off and for the spiders to go dormant. Nothing worse than walking through spider webs.
Squirrel doesn't stare until Oct. 15 here in PA.

Tuesday morning it’s supposed to be 48 degrees. I’m going then. I love that they brought squirrel season in a month earlier this year. I was out scouting the hickories last weekend!
I bought a 32 a few weeks ago for squirrels and have been dialing in my load and patch combo since. I’m pretty excited!

Our CT early squirrel season started on Sept. 2. I have been out a few times, on the cooler days. The leaves are still pretty thick, so i have been using my 28 gauge BP smooth rifle. I have only taken 3 squirrels so far. Sure is hard to see them when they are up in the hickories. In a few more weeks the leaves will be falling and I will switch to my .32 flinter. I surely love squirrel hunting. A good primer for deer season.

I'm just across the river(delaware) from PA, I wish I had the money to get the licence for there. Are season opener was the first here in New York, good the temp is dropping. I hope to get out this week with my 15ga underhammer.

Good luck and stay safe everyone.

I wanted to get out but was at a Traditional archery shoot in Snyder County. Heading back up friday for the weekend so maybe i’ll bring the .36 along.

I was out yesterday morning. A perfect morning 42 degrees, sunny and calm. There was lots of squirrels moving. I hunted out of a portable tree stand as the area was logged recently and I wanted to get above it to see better. I missed 3 and got one. I’m new to this having just bought this 32 a few weeks ago. It’s still not grouping well but I had a ball anyway. I hope to go again tomorrow. Jim
0B2A66B6-5748-4EDA-9203-3EDD52342950.jpeg
336D4B43-B630-47F8-94EA-6B5CC19BEB11.jpeg

Latest posts

Back