• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spanish Miquelet Lock - New Addition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to try to make a traditional one though. Might be a market for the things. Then I can get rich and retire early!🤨

Wait a minute- LARGE inventory of rifle shoppe castings? That’s where their parts are going to- your place!😅

Hi Sam

Great work !!! And the hardwood spacers is a good idea. And I agree, an "adjustable" bottom leg would probably require the use of flat metal which would't be rigid enough. But you are definitely on the right track. In a sense, these vises seem like they would be easier to make than the vises for their flintlock counterparts (?). They are just different.
There are a number of vise makers today. But I guess they figure the market for miquelet locks is very limited comparatively. But over the years, I have spoken to shooters/collectors that would like to disassemble original locks for proper cleaning. So there is likely a market for these vises for one maker anyway.
The mainsprings on miquelets tend to be stronger than on flintlocks. And the Ottoman/Balkan variety double that.
Does your Albanian lock look similar to this one ? Notice the curve of the mainspring, and how it is partially covered by the fence.

RickView attachment 42573View attachment 42574View attachment 42575
is that what they call-MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY? because it is as if I was holding it?!

Hi Sam

Yes, our locks are almost a clone. Actually, this style of miquelet lock was widely used on Albanian and a variety of Balkan made guns for many years. And they are indeed robust and spark well. Apparently, they got the geometry right with this one. They were made in both pistol and musket size. And they are all almost identical in style. Which is why I've often speculated they all came from one or two big shops somewhere in the Balkans.
Can't wait to see your finished vise. Maybe you will consider making same for others (?) Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress.

Hi Dale

I do think the altered vise grip, covered with leather on the ends is a good idea. It seems that the vise grip was not patented till 1924. So nothing similar would have been available during the period.
Question: Do you ever assemble TRS lock kits for others ?

Rick

Another choice to protect the work from the tool besides leather is copper. Hi coefficient of friction, more durable. A pair of vice grips with copper wrapped around the jaws is one of my most-used tools.

- Bill

Here are some pictures I took last night to explain how my vise grips work. Sorry about the lighting, honestly, my old vise grips are not this rusty, just dirty!. Just got this lock casting in the other day by the way, it is for their # 641 1720 musket. I like your idea of copper, but I have found the leather has held up well. It also tends to grip the mainspring while being compressed without letting it slide. No commercially available mainspring vises will work as these springs are so much larger and stronger. I tried several different methods in the past and this seems by far the easiest to use. All you have to do is compress the spring enough so that you can insert the cock screw into the lockplate. The problem is the foot of the cock has to fit into the cutout in the mainspring while you are doing it.
IMG_20200911_185936362.jpg
MS vise # 1.jpg
MS vise # 3.jpg
MS vise # 4.jpg

Just so people not familiar with these locks can see the difference in mainspring sizes. In the bottom picture, the large spring is from a Patilla lock, the smaller is from Jim Chambers excellent round faced English lock. The Spanish found the French/English style of lock to be too fragile and weak for their colonial frontiers. Some writers also claim, and it makes a lot of sense, that the Spanish did not have access to good flint and had to compensate. Although with trade routes in continental Europe, I wonder if that was the primary reason. And yes, folks they do spark!
Miq4.jpg
DSC_2071.JPG
DSC_2086.JPG

Hi Dale

Thanks for the photos. So, it appears that you too work the rear of the spring with the vise grips. Interesting. Never would have thought of this. Hmmm
Interesting you mention flints. There is historical evidence that the quality of flint mined in the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean regions was in fact sub-par to the English black and French amber. So you may correct in that assumption. Some of the mainsprings on the larger Ottoman locks are ridiculously strong.

I want to thank you both for your input on this subject. And I hope we can continue. Meantime, I need to get back in touch with my guy. Thanks.

Rick

First prototype clamp was a wash. I think a heavy adjustable jaw clamp to fit many different types of miquelet locks will be the ticket. But it will have to be overbuilt to be safe. Stay tuned- same bat time, same bat channel!

Rickstl- what is the average thickness of your miquelet lockplates in your collection? I have a idea. Thanks.

I know you were asking rickystl but the ones I have worked on have been around 3/16 or so. Maybe a slightly but thicker on the musket locks, a bit thinner on the pistol ones.

Hi Sam

I took some measurements last night. About the same as Dale mentions.

Still trying to get my guy moving on this project. Darn.

Rick

Back