• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre Carved Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kidding.....go for it.....at worst you mess up and then can get a precarve and start over... ..you might talk to Petonica and see if they could shape your blank.......?

I purchased a Pecatonica stock for my TC Hawken (50 rebored to 54) What is the issue with the inletted?
Thanks in advance
MikeW

Just kidding.....go for it.....at worst you mess up and then can get a precarve and start over... ..you might talk to Petonica and see if they could shape your blank.......?

I tried that route, and since the barrel is already inletted they don't want to touch it

I figure, heck once I get a build like this done everything should be easier. Just waiting on the plans to get started

I tried that route, and since the barrel is already inletted they don't want to touch it

I figure, heck once I get a build like this done everything should be easier. Just waiting on the plans to get started
Good ....... there's a nice rifle hiding under that extra wood!

You might get a lock inlet like the one I have posted here ad nauseam. And yes, that pan really is bellow the side flat of the barrel. I have since added wood and re-inletted the lock to be in the proper place.

100_4992.JPG

Every time I see that picture I ask myself, "Why didn't he increase the depth of the barrel channel to get the barrel down where it belongs? "
The entire barrel channel doesn't need to be deepened to the same depth. If it was deep at the breech and left at its original depth at the muzzle, that should do the job.

None of the pre-carved stocks from most of the companies that make them, are "drop in" kits like the ones made for Lyman and Traditions.

I did drop the barrel a good bit but if I went any lower the tang would be so low that the wrist architecture would run almost straight to the comb. The gun had a 3/8" web at the breech.

I used a combination of barrel dropping and added wood to maintain the overall shape.

Here is how much wood I ended up adding to get everything sorta' right. I dropped the barrel about the same amount as the width of the wood I added, I split the difference. I also had to add metal to the front trigger bar to make it work because if I inletted the trigger plate any deeper I would have been in the ramrod channel. Overall It was a real mess to deal with.

lock inlet complete.JPG

Last edited:
Capt Flint is confused about problems with pre-inletted locks. Pecatonica has inlet the last ten of mine with no repeat no problems.

Pecatonica has a good reputation, but there are others out there........some maybe not as good as others.. there is a stigma attached to precarves, which may be held over from older times......now with cnc, think Kibler, I think a lot of it is past.....

Back