• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member with percussion cap question....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you confirm that this is indeed the problem we are facing concerning the cap shortage ?
I've seen how caps and ammunition are produced. The process is largely automated.
Sure, Covid could slow production but not stop it. There is still more to the story. This is the third shortage in ten years.

Problem is, there is a portion of the country that has so whipped themselves into a lather over who's running the country, that they are willing to cause disruption and untold harm to the country so they can be in control.

That disruption leads to shortages for many reasons, anything firearm related being the first to feel it, including caps.

It's the pot-heads fault?

The percussion cap shortage seems to be all over the US. I believe as said before they (ammo manufacturers) are pulling resources to fill the substantial backlog of 9mm, 223/5.56 etc versus making percussion caps.

Valid point.

I would wager Sven205 is exactly right. Ammunition companies are running hard on making unmentionable shooting supplies right now. They have contracts they must fill for customers pertaining to x quantity delivered before x time frame. If they don't meet these requirements they take a big hit on the selling price or may even lose the contract.
The rest of their manufacturing capacity is also going to be making unmentionable shooting supplies. It is simply more in demand from their customers, and their customer's customers.
To put it into perspective, they make 9mm components every single week, while they may only run muzzle loading components once per year.
During this panic buying they aren't going to take up capacity for a product that is 1%-2% of their yearly sales.

Problem is, there is a portion of the country that has so whipped themselves into a lather over who's running the country, that they are willing to cause disruption and untold harm to the country so they can be in control.

So you are saying this group bought all the caps ?

Self portrait?

No silly, My portrait looks like this.

1599775419696.png

The percussion cap shortage seems to be all over the US. I believe as said before they (ammo manufacturers) are pulling resources to fill the substantial backlog of 9mm, 223/5.56 etc versus making percussion caps.

What resources ? The lines and equipment are automated and dedicated. They also aren't making any headway on the backlog.

This is the 3rd shortage in ten years. Any CEO worth his salt would have planned for this. Every day the shortage continues is a day of lost premium sales.

So you are saying this group bought all the caps ?

I am saying they are waging a terror campaign, without thought of their fellow citizens, that has people panic buying. In particular firearms related items, and while caps may not be at the top of that list, the trickle down of ammunition companies diverting resources, limits their availability

Don't be obtuse.

What resources ? The lines and equipment are automated and dedicated. They also aren't making any headway on the backlog.

This is the 3rd shortage in ten years. Any CEO worth his salt would have planned for this. Every day the shortage continues is a day of lost premium sales.

And every time, this shortage has been initially caused by the same ideology.

Prepared? How do you prepare for half the country to descend into selfish insanity, propelled by a well laid, well funded terror campaign?

For give Zonie, I am about to sin

"Can you confirm that this is indeed the problem we are facing concerning the cap shortage?:

If you are Remington producing .22 ammunition and center fire pistol and rifle ammunition and the demand for them is exceeding your maximum production rate, are you going to trim that production to make percussion caps for a limited market in the United States? No, that would be a dumb business decision. Also Remington does have military contract to fulfill for ammunition and percussion caps is not one of them. In addition to the above, there has been some shortage of raw materials, metal and powder.

"I've seen how caps and ammunition are produced. The process is largely automated."

Automation still requires someone to run it and how to operate the computers controlling it. If workers are quarantined at home they can not operate the machinery.

"Sure, Covid could slow production but not stop it. There is still more to the story. This is the third shortage in ten years".

Prior to the current virus problems, each previous shortage can be directly related to a political situation.

We are not talk politics, but it could very well be when a certain person was elected President awhile back there was a run on ammunition and guns.

"Remington has long had quality control problems in their entire ammunition production. They have filed for some sort of bankruptcy protection."

The bankruptcy protection was sought because of a problem to a specific modern rifle they are produce. There were numerous related law suits filed. The protection was sought to protect the future of the company and save it's employees jobs.

And every time, this shortage has been initially caused by the same ideology.

Ah! you mean the gun buying, ammo buying and percussion cap buying "ideology".
Not sure I agree with what you are saying. Or at least it doesn't make sense.

If you are Remington producing .22 ammunition and center fire pistol and rifle ammunition and the demand for them is exceeding your maximum production rate, are you going to trim that production to make percussion caps for a limited market in the United States? No,

It is not necessary to "trim" production. The lines are independent.

Automation still requires someone to run it and how to operate the computers controlling it. If workers are quarantined at home they can not operate the machinery.

Are they quarantined at home ?
TNGHost said riots were the cause of the shortage. Are the factories in riot zones ?

Prior to the current virus problems, each previous shortage can be directly related to a political situation.

We are not talk politics, but it could very well be when a certain person was elected President awhile back there was a run on ammunition and guns.

Looks like we have found a common denominator for all the shortages (actually there are two)

Also, fear drives the shortage and sales. Fear is very profitable and controlling.

How do you prepare for half the country to descend into selfish insanity,

I don't think percussion shooters make up half the country, but I do agree that buying up all the caps and ammo is "selfish insanity ".

There are hundreds of different rounds they have to produce and each one has different set ups and variations. It is pretty much impossible for them to have separate lines set up for each and every one at the same time. Also they have to have strict quality control and checks so they don't get someone killed because they didn't do their quality checks and tests. There is allot more money to be made in unmentionables as compared to making caps. So where do you think they are going to spend the majority of their time producing?

Who could have predicted the virus? No one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back