• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are shoulder stocks so popular on the replica 1860 Army and 3rd Model Dragoons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They MIGHT improve accuracy a little.
Surprising they are popular now. They weren't back in the day.

If you get one, remember NOT to hold/steady the thing with your off hand gripping the barrel, unless you desire a severe burn on that forearm, of course.
Or in the case of a chain fire, shooting your off hand.

sourdough, your pistol looks like a BULL DOG ON STEROIDS!! MEAN, YES!!

Well it is cool as all get out, looks super racy, especially with a fluted Army, and is an very exciting sensation to have that cap go off right in your face.
It is also an excellent way to learn how to flinch when cap particles hit you in the forehead and that muzzle blast is a lot closer.
At least that is my experience.
Now I got to work on fixing that flinch.
Bunk

In the 1980s I bought a Colt's 1860 that came with most accessories, including a shoulder stock. I used the stock once, thought, 'That's neat', and never used it again. The stock just stayed in its velvet lined compartment in the case until eventually I sold the set. Oh, yeah, a case is something else you don't need.

Will a Pietta shoulder stock attach to a 1860 Uberti?

I am thinking it should. Please refer to my post #12 regarding the length of the stock yoke J-hook housing: the 1860 Army stock has a longer housing/J-hook than the respective 1851/1861 Navy stock.

Regards,

Jim

Bunk this is my take as well. I was inches from bidding on one @ eBay when I read your post and kinda stepped back for a moment to think- the cool factor aside I'm almost certain I'd use it exactly once before the novelty wore off. From a percussion pistol display standpoint it can't be beat in my book. Not so much from a users point of view.

Well it is cool as all get out, looks super racy, especially with a fluted Army, and is an very exciting sensation to have that cap go off right in your face.
It is also an excellent way to learn how to flinch when cap particles hit you in the forehead and that muzzle blast is a lot closer.
At least that is my experience.
Now I got to work on fixing that flinch.
Bunk

On certain unmentionable handguns, it does help with rapid follow-up shots. But I think it would make reloading a C&B revolvers a bit awkward to do wouldn't it?

Are the shoulder stocks essentially interchangeable from model to model ? This would apply to modern made shoulder stocks. Has anyone tried fitting the model of one to different model pistol ?

Last edited:
No. For example a Dragoon stock will not fit on an 1851 or 1860.

An 1860 stock will not fit a Dragoon or 1851.

An 1851 will not fit a Dragoon or 1860.

Most manufacturer's stocks will usually fit all other manufacturer's guns of similar types. Minor fitting might be needed.

Thanks B P Arn, I didn't know that. As rare as the reproduction 1860 Army stocks may be to find for sale the Dragoon shoulder stock seems harder still.

Most manufacturer's stocks will usually fit all other manufacturer's guns of similar types. Minor fitting might be needed.

There seems to be a high demand for all types of them. Further, it seems like they would be relatively easy to manufacture. I would think there would be a good profit margin too.

All currently unavailable unfortunately. And not a DRAGOON stock in sight!

Good luck finding a Dragoon stock. Pietta does not make them, and I have not found any evidence that Uberti ever made one. You might find an ASM on the used market but chances are slim to none for that, and if the seller knows what he has the price will be exorbitant. If you find one you will be the envy of me and several others looking for the same thing.

AFAIK, the only Italian manufacturer of Dragoon shoulder stocks was ASM in the early-mid 1970's. The stock furniture was blackened brass (early) and blackened steel (later). I believe they were primarily sold with a revolver and not separately.

Many ASM Dragoons were sold with long barrels and/or barrel-mounted 3-leaf rear sights.

This an ASM cased set, once part of the Dr. Davis collection, sold by October country about 6-7 months ago.

If you try to fit a Colt Type 3 1860 Army stock to a Dragoon you will be sorely disappointed. The Dragoon frame is much wider than the 1860 Army frame, and the Dragoon 4th screw position is much farther forward on its frame as compared to the 1860 Army frame.

Regards,

Jim

The critical difference between the 1851 and 1860 being nothing more than the size of the grips, right? Meaning that if you replace the grip with one to match the other, you could conceivably get a stock that should go onto either gun.

Back