• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The brass framed revolvers lifespan and help me decide on a new purchase.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half-Cocked, I apologize for misrepresenting Michigan gun laws. I repeated what I had heard, and that is not a good idea before first verifying the information.

No worries I am not clear on the laws myself. I am only going off the information on the web which is questionable at best.

If I can find a FFL dealer that doesn't charge much it would be worth knowing him. Ironically I still don't know if that would worked either with some of the vendors not willing to ship to Michigan.

But yeah to recap I'm not aware of any law saying that we can't have black powder pistols shipped to us like almost everyone else in the United States. Come to think of in New Jersey is the only one that I know of that needs an FFL transfer for black powder.

I’ve handled hundreds of old used up 1860’s and 1858’s that were made in the last 60 years and my experience has been that the old steel frames that have had the rifling shot out have mostly been solid otherwise. Ive rarely seen a brass frame whose rifling was half gone that i would consider still shootable in any sense of the word. Im sure they last plenty long for the average guy but nothing like a steel frame. A brass frame on a gun is like a pine handle on a shovel. For light work they work just fine but they were considered cut rate and sketchy, even back in the day.

(My old Pop has one he bought 20 years ago and he takes it out once every other year or so and shoots a dozen rounds out of it and its still fairly solid so I can testify they'll stand up to 120 rounds or so.)

Last edited:
So I am thinking of picking up another revolver but I really like my 1851 Brass in .44.

So much so that I wonder if I should just buy one in steel if I plan on shooting it a lot.

I don't care about running "hotter" loads I use 12 grain of 2ff and I love the way it handles and the accuracy at the pistol range.

Question is how many shots before the gun becomes unusable if I continue to use 12g of 2f? Anyone with experience have a guess?

I could also spend the cash on a 1858 Remington. I should add I have no interest in converting the cylinders in these.

The remington's small arbor and it being prone to getting fouled quickly is turning me away from it.

It looks really nice though. I have wanted one since I saw it pictured on the box my Colt Navy came in.

What is a good duty load for a bp pistol anyway? Much less a brass one? 50000 rounds?
I look at it from a reliability standpoint, I don’t shoot proof loads either and I expect my handguns to hold up a long while, regardless of frame material, but open top usually means more frequent cap jams. I can’t remember when I had one w/ New Model Army. I do understand that sometimes our gender simply goes for the good looking one, with the attractive frame.......

Though I am very late to the party, let me throw in my 2 cents. Although I really like the “hang” of an 1851 Colt, and I am always awed by the grace of a 1860, after many years and many revolvers, I ultimately end up with a 1858 Remington. Lord only knows it is exponentially easier to clean. It’s even easier to cap too. In the end, I have found that it is even slightly more accurate. Though the decision to get a ‘58 wasn’t wholly yours, you will in the end, be pleased. Good luck !

I’ve handled hundreds of old used up 1860’s and 1858’s that were made in the last 60 years and my experience has been that the old steel frames that have had the rifling shot out have mostly been solid otherwise. Ive rarely seen a brass frame whose rifling was half gone that i would consider still shootable in any sense of the word. Im sure they last plenty long for the average guy but nothing like a steel frame. A brass frame on a gun is like a pine handle on a shovel. For light work they work just fine but they were considered cut rate and sketchy, even back in the day.

(My old Pop has one he bought 20 years ago and he takes it out once every other year or so and shoots a dozen rounds out of it and its still fairly solid so I can testify they'll stand up to 120 rounds or so.)
I have yet to see a handgun, muzzle loader or modern, with a worn out barrel. Damaged from neglect or abuse, yes, but never worn out.

Though I am very late to the party, let me throw in my 2 cents. Although I really like the “hang” of an 1851 Colt, and I am always awed by the grace of a 1860, after many years and many revolvers, I ultimately end up with a 1858 Remington. Lord only knows it is exponentially easier to clean. It’s even easier to cap too. In the end, I have found that it is even slightly more accurate. Though the decision to get a ‘58 wasn’t wholly yours, you will in the end, be pleased. Good luck !

I am almost certain I will eventually buy both. I can eventually get the steel 1851 for now I suppose I will shoot the brass one I own and see what's available for purchase.

I have yet to see a handgun, muzzle loader or modern, with a worn out barrel. Damaged from neglect or abuse, yes, but never worn out.

Obviously I can’t speak to what you’ve seen but call Bobby Hoyt and ask him how many BP competition/Really active regular shooter’s barrels he refreshes or bores out per year just from wear to the rifling. Not neglected ones, which he does see too, but ones only 10-20 years old with many thousands of rounds down range. When I shot 3gun I went through many modern rifle and pistol barrels but that is at something like 40k rounds per year and it's toast in a few years. I often replaced barrels after a single year, or about half life as they were already starting to get loose. Modern barrels do last admirably but they all wear out. But, getting back on point, a brass frame won’t make it nearly that long.

Last edited:
Back