• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzle blast silencers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone shoot at a range that has blast silencers/absorbers? I don't know what they are called and I have never seen one or even heard of one till I saw this news article. If it works it would sure make things a lot more pleasant when a neighbor has a cannon or a black rifle with a big magazine. And, you just insert the muzzle so it wouldn't interfear with a flintlock vent.

1599598462666.png

I have a plastic 55 gal. barrel that I have been thinking about using that way when I move down to my new shooting area. It'll set on a sawbuck and have holes in both ends though I don't know what diameter they will be at present. No liner/sound deadener as anything I could put in there would probably just turn out to be a home for rodents.

Does anyone shoot at a range that has blast silencers/absorbers? I don't know what they are called and I have never seen one or even heard of one till I saw this news article. If it works it would sure make things a lot more pleasant when a neighbor has a cannon or a black rifle with a big magazine. And, you just insert the muzzle so it wouldn't interfear with a flintlock vent.

View attachment 42400
What range is using these muzzle blast suppressors/silencers? How are they constructed? Are they something the range has put in or have they been directed to by local ordinance?

Fortunetly, I haven't seen any of those gun range silencers so I haven't tried to use them.

I suspect if I did, the other people at the shooting range would complain loudly that my muzzleloaders were "stinking up the equipment" and demand that I stop shooting there. Some already gripe about the rotten egg smell even when I'm just shooting. I try to avoid reminding them that some 4th of July smells isn't as bad as their empty cartridge cases landing on my head and falling down inside the neck of my shirt but I'm not always successful. :D

The state run range west of me has those they work ok for modern weapons but I am not sure about the black powder weapons, I have only shot there once and that was with full auto weapons due to a work requirement. Now I have access to private ranges where there are no BOZOS to worry with.

I made one for my casual shooting even though I'm usually by myself. I just got a big piece of 4' x 4' egg carton packing foam and used duct tape to hold it down to the bench as well as hold the rolled shape. It works pretty well for long guns but pistols (particularly revolvers) don't get enough of the gun in to them to quiet them down much.

Almost all I know is from the photo. The news story was about a sighting in event for deer season in Oregon. There was nothing at all about the tunnel arrangements. Yes, the muzzle brake rifles are the worst but some of the big guns really compess your head. Fortunately, most of the really big stuff goes to the 600 meter range. Although, a black rifle with a muzzel brake is pretty rude.

I like it. But, untill muzzleloaders start pushing bullets at 3500 fps and using slotted brakes on the muzzel I think we can get by without it. A black powder gun just doesn't create that slap in the side of your head. Personally, I have found a gravel pit where I can shoot by myself or with some like minded friends and save the range fees.

The tires work well but collect water and breed mosquitoes (aka the Maine state bird 😀 ).
Mosquito is State bird of Florida, as well.
Might be in Alaska, too ... or Alaska's might be the black fly. I'm not sure which.

Something of the sort has merit. I shoot on local farm land but something like a concrete drain pipe should muffle the already gentle boom of a BP rifle. I recall at Bisley ranges you could hear every pop of the 22 rifles or pistols whatever they where on 'Century' range but not until you neared the ' Short Siberia' range used by the MLA GB could you pick up the dull boom even of 451 target rifles . And recovering the distant range flags at Totley Range (Nr Sheffield ) near dark . I could see the flashes but scarce discerned the pop of BP revolvers . We never used ear plugs until Nitro reared its head . I remember a young fellow stepping forward to recover a case when a 'Boys' anti tank rifle on Hawksworth Range fired next to him (Sort of like an Amusette ) and gave him quite a shock..
Rudyard

The tires work well but collect water and breed mosquitoes (aka the Maine state bird 😀 ).
you know when your barellof stagnant water gets swimmers in it just a drop of motor oil kills them real quick. they have to come op to breath and make love, and it takes care of it! so add it to your tire silencer.

Never saw those until this thread. Look awkward to me. Wondering if they might actually fit into the category of silencers/suppressors that are prohibited by the ATF without proper certification.

Back