• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what is considered a good collection of BP revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIC, a ‘good’ collection is one you (1) enjoy looking at, can (2) shoot all you want, and in the end it can be (3) liquidated for at least what you have in it. There are ‘poor’ collections and there are ‘great’ collections and only the ‘good’ one can give you all three. Buy a good gun smart, and enjoy.
As far as liquidating: "let them pry it out of my cold dead hands". LOL

Here are my revolvers!
IMG_1389.JPG

You start collecting and it just blossoms into a real big investment.

(photos are of my collection, but never actually laid them all out to photograph so kind of mixed up.)
my word, but you seem to have a lot of beautiful toys to play with!!

What's a good cap and ball revolver collection? All models of Colts (multiples in my case including replicas, 2nd Gens and 3rd Gens), and at least one good Remington replica (which will be the best shooter of the bunch -- mine is a stainless Uberti). The Spiller & Burrs, Rogers & Spencers etc. are interesting footnotes to history but you can pretty much cover the field with at least one of each Colt model starting with the 1851 Navy, and at least one Remington New Army replica (1858).

Safe to say that was a “good” collection...

This thread is about pistols worthy of a collection. I guess that depends upon the definition.

I have it from a well-respected source that OC still has a few Gregorelli & Uberti (GU) revolvers/sets from Davis' collection. If the next Fed/Gov stimulus check shows up in late August/September and this is still available (and no one snatches it) I do believe I will try to obtain this cased set.

The case wood and interior appear superb for their decades old age. The 4-screw Navy has a plain cylinder and no CFS cut on the recoil shields, not historically correct (HC). The G&G is HC, in as much as modern replicas can be. Both have nice wood. GU was only in business from 1959-1962, and most of their production was under contract with Val Forgett/Navy Arms, plainly seen on the many website photos. Most of these GU revolvers do not have date codes nor proofmarks. I do not know of anyone who has tried to consider dating the production date using the SN, but I feel it could somewhat be accomplished if enough photos of these revolvers were presented with the SN included.

Unless you are of the same mindset as I am, you will find the price tag astounding, but these guns are not meant to be shooters in this day and age: I have plenty of those of recent manufacture. These are safe queens to be saved for posterity, IMHO. There have been many variations/manufacturers of repro revolvers produced from then to present date and deserved to be documented for future study.

https://www.octobercountry.com/1851-navy-yank-36-cal-griswold-gunnison-plain-cylinder-36-cal/
What will complicate this for future collectors is the fact that, with the advent of CNC machining ~2000, both Pietta and Uberti guns feature mostly interchangeable parts that are easily swapped (within the manufacturer) to create whatever revolver either company does not market. My Pietta Confederates (previous post) iterate that. That is why the older repro revolvers (which companies like Uberti and Pietta used parts manufactured by small Northern Italian factories as subcontractors) to be very important as was not "plug-and-play" (so to speak) as it is today. I plead guilty to all accounts so as to create revolvers not offered by Pietta these days.

To demonstrate this is a video: Pietta Factory Tour:

Sorry for being so wordy.

Regards,

Jim

I think I've found my first collection: I will have one BP revolver from each year. I got 1851 and 1858. I am getting an 1861 Navy and have a 1849 pocket coming from Dixie. Thanks for all the suggestions, pictures, etc.

Personally I like the shorter barrel guns like the Pietta Marshal. For me it balances better that either the 1860 Army ir the 1861 navy with the barrel out there.
I am not interested in period correct just fun guns to shoot so most of my C&B guns are of the short barrel variety.
Get what you like and is comfortable to you. My Walker is long gone it was no fun for me to shoot and I shoot a lot.
respectfully
Bunk

In my original collection that burned, I had 1851 Navies (36 & 44) a Walker, Kentucky Pistols (45 & 50), a Trapper type pistol, Philadelphia Derringers, Ruger Old Armies, and some BP pistols that are unmentionable here.

Now, I restarted my BP handgun collection with a Uberti Walker, 2x Philadelphia Derringers, 2x New Orleans Ace pistols, and a unmentionable BP handgun. As time goes on and I can work it into my budget...I plan to add Remingtons, a LeMat, 1860 Armies, 1849 Pocket Model, more 1851s, a pair of Spiller & Burrs, 1862 Police, a pair of 1861 Navies, a pair of Leech & Rigdons, another Walker, a pair of Dance Brothers, Kentuckies (45 & 50), more Derringer types, a 20ga. Howdah, Military type flintlocks, a Ruger Old Army, a pepperbox,Trapper type pistol, 54cal. Harper's Ferry, 1855 Dragoon, Flintlock Duelers, and what ever I happen to find.

🤩 I LOVE BLACK POWDER PISTOLS!!! 🤩

Be warned. Wanting "a good collection of BP revolvers" can get out of hand.

View attachment 37675

That's what mine looked like before an anal orifice broke into my house and stole 12 of them.

Yup, that's what happens when you have a 'display wall' covered with guns.

Here, probably only my next door neighbours on each side know that I shoot ANYTHING, and I'm not too sure about the one on our left as they are very slightly around the corner, and don't see me loading up our cars.

I have a 1858 remington and 1951 navy colt (both Pieta) and would like to get a good collection of BP revolvers. Should I go for a pocket or a walker or some other to make a good selection of revolvers. Maybe a snub-nose?

One is just one, two is a pair, three starts a collection. A "good collection" is always one more than you have.

I think a good collection is one you enjoy. A theme helps even if it’s the dreaded non PC .44 caliber navies. For a next pistol I would look for a Walker or Patterson they’re both historically important and fun to shoot.

WARNING WARNING
There is a possibility that you are contracting the dread disease
GOTTGETANOTHERGUNITIS.
Terrible thing that has no cure and can only be put in temporary remission by getting another gun.
Take this warning from a sad poor victim of the disease it is always "just one more" and it never ends.
I have to go clean the the snubbys that I shot this morning.
Respectfully
Bunk

Wb78963, my collection is finished. I have no need for anymore muzzleloaders. I’ve totally sworn off of another. I will make only two exceptions. One is if I find something too cheap to pass up or I really like it. Hello, my name is Jake.....

Wb78963, my collection is finished. I have no need for anymore muzzleloaders. I’ve totally sworn off of another. I will make only two exceptions. One is if I find something too cheap to pass up or I really like it. Hello, my name is Jake.....
Hi Jake,
I am sorry but that is a common excuse for everyone with the disease.
Sorry pardner YOU GOT IT!
For a gunaholic, (a person affected with gottogetanothergunitis) the collection is NEVER finished (I know).
Don't fight it just go with the flow, I did and am happy. My family not so much.
Load 'em heavy boys
they air a'comin'
Bunk

I don’t have the disease, no way. Nope not me, no how.
I...er what’s that ? A southern mountain rifle ? Well, just this last time..
Hi Jake,
I am sorry but that is a common excuse for everyone with the disease.
Sorry pardner YOU GOT IT!
For a gunaholic, (a person affected with gottogetanothergunitis) the collection is NEVER finished (I know).
Don't fight it just go with the flow, I did and am happy. My family not so much.
Load 'em heavy boys
they air a'comin'
Bunk

Back