• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying a flintlock derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott L

32 Cal
Reaction score
My father acquired this flintlock derringer in 1978 and it passed to me upon his death. It is 40 caliber. The only identifying mark I can find is that on the side of the lock which appears to be "Assary" or "Affary". It has an engraved crest on the bottom of the grip which presumably was used for affixing a seal to documents. My web searches have turned up nothing. I don't want to sell it, would just like to know more about it's history. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Flintlock derringer 1.JPG
    Flintlock derringer 1.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Flintlock derringer 5.JPG
    Flintlock derringer 5.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Flintlock derringer 4.JPG
    Flintlock derringer 4.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Seal on bottom of grip.jpg
    Seal on bottom of grip.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 282
I'm not convinced - that grip looks VERY awkward to me. I might be wrong, but IMO it is a modern replica using cast parts.

No listing for a "Affary" or "Assary" in the American Gun Makers data.
It is an interesting little pistol though and it does look quite old.

I had not considered that it might be a phony of some sort as my father acquired it from his close friend Royland Southgate the long rifle maker. Maybe Royland made it up from old parts. It looks like the wood, the grip, has been broken and reconstructed/repaired but appears to have been some time ago. I've taken it to some gun shows and shown it around and it got a lot of interest and some offers. Whatever it is, it's interesting.

Looks basically legit to me. Sure is a cute pocket pistol. The only curiosity is that metal butt cap. Do you have a closer pic of that ?

Looks basically legit to me. Sure is a cute pocket pistol. The only curiosity is that metal butt cap. Do you have a closer pic of that ?
It is an interesting little pistol. Here's a better picture of the crest on the butt cap.

Attachments

• Crest.jpg
    Crest.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 133
Hi Scott

I don't recognize the crest (if it is a crest?) on the butt cap. If the bird and/or the three stars can be recognized, it might give a clue to it's build origin. I'll send the pics to other collectors and see if they can I.D. it.
Overall, the pistol looks similar to the pocket pistols that were so popular during the first quarter of the 19th Century especially in Europe, but also North America. For some reason, that crest on the butt cap reminds me of something from the U.S. Federal period. Which would also fit in the time frame of when this pistol was made. Knowing what type of wood was used for the stock would also be helpful.

Rick

No expert here but it is saying "old" to me. A very neat little pistol. Great keepsake and collectors item. BTW, that grip does not appear any smaller than is found on today's pocket pistols, including the one sitting in front of me now.

A friend in Missouri showed me a similar pistol once and he told me it was a muffen pistol. He described it as a gun made to carry in a woman's hand warmer in winter months. He called it a muffen pistol used by lady's as a self protection gun. He said it was used most of the time in Europe by women of note. The one he showed me was made in Europe. If you will look on line you'll find them. I've been in BP for more than fifty years and I had never heard of a muffen pistol.

Thank you for all of the replies. I couldn't tell you what kind of wood it's made with. It appears to be very old. My father collected miniature guns of all kinds. He got it from Royland Southgate in 1978 and added it to his collection.

A friend in Missouri showed me a similar pistol once and he told me it was a muffen pistol. He described it as a gun made to carry in a woman's hand warmer in winter months. He called it a muffen pistol used by lady's as a self protection gun. He said it was used most of the time in Europe by women of note. The one he showed me was made in Europe. If you will look on line you'll find them. I've been in BP for more than fifty years and I had never heard of a muffen pistol.

I've heard that same story. I was always under the impression it applied to any number of small handguns like this that could be easily concealed.

MUFF pistol, gentlemen, not a food item.
Looks genuine antique European to me
(got my first old pistol, 1847 Aston, in 1952. Ain't stopped since)

Back