• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safely Storing Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has gotten me thinking. I had the bright idea of pre-loading charges for my ROA by using small plastic tubes to save the time of measuring in the field. Now I'm wondering if I might be creating a hazard due to the possibility of static electricity, especially here in AZ with our low humidity. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Modern graphite coated BP is virtually immune to static discharge from what I've read, and in any case, it's the BP dust that's susceptible as opposed to the particles. So as long as you don't toss 5 lbs of loose 0B in a basket like you're a Native tossing flour, while rubbing a balloon on your head, I wouldn't worry. Preloaded charges are awfully handy from what I hear.

This thread has gotten me thinking. I had the bright idea of pre-loading charges for my ROA by using small plastic tubes to save the time of measuring in the field. Now I'm wondering if I might be creating a hazard due to the possibility of static electricity, especially here in AZ with our low humidity. Any thoughts? Thanks.

No, you are not creating a hazard. Static electricity will not cause hazard. This gets discussed about once a month.

If static electricity was a hazard, why do all the powder company's ship their powder in plastic bottles?

Well, G.I. .50 calibre ammo cans have worked very much good for the last 25 years. I used to buy FFFg in 5lb bulk bags and then when needed, the powder was transferred into one pound metal cans but still kept in the ammo cans. Now, the powder comes in plastic bottles. I only need to store FFg and FFFg black powder.

just a thought on the ammo can option if the worst did happen the ammo can would contain the pressure until there was a lot of it and then you have a bomb, storing in something that will give way like a wooden box is probably safer, also if there is a fire the heat will transfer through the metal a lot quicker than wood.

Modern graphite coated BP is virtually immune to static discharge from what I've read, and in any case, it's the BP dust that's susceptible as opposed to the particles. So as long as you don't toss 5 lbs of loose 0B in a basket like you're a Native tossing flour, while rubbing a balloon on your head, I wouldn't worry. Preloaded charges are awfully handy from what I hear.

Well said Mr. McBride! I've enjoyed the examples of storage shown so far.

Regarding @Crimea River comment, N-SSA shooters have been using pre-loaded tubes for many years without incident. Not necessarily long term storage but many of them may be stored a year or so before being used. Measured powder charges are in these tubes under the reversed lubed bullet.
There's a few ways to do it but generally "cap plugs" are used that are made out of rubber and plastic. I also use rubber tubing and wooden stoppers cut from dowels for revolver pre-loads.

58 cal minies and two versions of revolver pre-loads shown below.

rps20200908_135920.jpg
rps20200510_224546.jpg

i have started using these cheep waterproof and one handed flip off top and you can visually check contents

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 87
I am sure by now everyone is tired of me posting that I store my cans in the garage refrigerator (shed icebox to our friends across the pond) because a fireman once told me about getting a cold coke from a refrigerator after a house fire. Seemed like a good insulated place to me.

And now for something completely different. Here are some efforts to set off black powder with electricity. Static Electricity and Black Powder

I used to store mine in a metal ammo box but Bob's facetube vidya learned me right! Now I store it in a wooden box in my cool basement. I will add separate compartments next.

"Glass should also make a very nice fragmentation grenade"

In Europe at matches, powder must be pre-measured for each shot and glass vials are not allowed.

"Glass should also make a very nice fragmentation grenade"

In Europe at matches, powder must be pre-measured for each shot and glass vials are not allowed.

Hello FishDFly, i shot in the UK and glass vials are fine. I now shoot in France and use glass vials. The flask is banned at the firing line for safety reasons.
The rest of europe i can not speak for.

Carl your comment surprised me so i looked up the MLAGB rules and couldn't find a mention of vial material, so it looks like glass is permitted.
still going to stick to plastic out of preference.

Back