• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do you recommend for storage of bags ,horns etc? I'm not sure which is best.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20200906_154710.jpg

I've been retired for15 years and have a lot of time on my hands. So I try to make the things I see others have. Really need a way to store them so the kids will have some toys.

I store mine with my other stuff. Nothing special as long as it is kept away from extreme heat and moisture. Been doing it for a long time. At one time I kept allot of it in an old wooden military foot locker. I have a tackle box that holds most my BP gear. Not PC but is convenient. Some day I want to get a nice wooden storage box with drawers and compartments. My guns are in an old military wall locker.

Breathtaking! The best display of rifles and accouterments I have ever seen.

Thanks Smoke. You know what’s funny? Almost my most prized possession in this whole display is the black rifle poking straight out of the wall just below the hunting sword. It’s a solid brass 18th century gunsmith’s shingle hanger. It was hung above or next to the door of an urban gunsmith’s shop with two chains that hung from the sling and held the business sign. c1770. Perhaps English. Still has the nubs where the chains hung. (The sling is also solid brass). I’ve never seen another one.

CADCDE65-4485-4DF6-A04E-BA2082EB6B6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Smoke. You know what’s funny? Almost my most prized possession in this whole display is the black rifle poking straight out of the wall just below the hunting sword. It’s a solid brass 18th century gunsmith’s shingle hanger. It was hung above or next to the door of an urban gunsmith’s shop with two chains that hung from the sling and held the business sign. c1770. Perhaps English. Still has the nubs where the chains hung. (The sling is also solid brass). I’ve never seen another one.

View attachment 42187

I was wondering what the story was on that. So cool!! I recall seeing old photos of the gun shops in St. Louis (or maybe another city) during the 1860s and one had a giant wooden gun above the shop lol. Flashy advertisements are nothing new!

Store your horns long-term sealed in plastic - those vacuum sealing clothes bage are appropriate. The idea is to completely isolate the horn from the outside world. I haea a horn I made in 1970 in High School. It's nothing fancy, but it was my first and I was proud of it. It was put into stoage for many years, and when I retrieved it, it was chewed up by larvae from something related to tiny flour beetles. I can repair it by filling the damage with tinted epoxy, then refinishing it. It is a plain horn, but if it had any scrimshaw or carving, restoring it would be a monumental task.

View attachment 42187
what keeps the horizontal flint lock from just pulling off of the block of wood it is fastened to? I know that it is screwed into it. just wonderening ? I can only wish I could have a man cave half as nice as yours! you have some exciting items!

what keeps the horizontal flint lock from just pulling off of the block of wood it is fastened to? I know that it is screwed into it. just wonderening ? I can only wish I could have a man cave half as nice as yours! you have some exciting items!

Thanks!

The brass one? The base is brass as well and the whole thing is screwed into the OSB wall and a stud.

thanks for the explanation. because it is a very heavy piece hanging on it out into the room. is it in relic condition ? is that it is screwed into the butt stock just curious?.

thanks for the explanation. because it is a very heavy piece hanging on it out into the room. is it in relic condition ? is that it is screwed into the butt stock just curious?.

Relic condition yes. The butt is notched, peened, and brazed onto the base. No screws. Dozens of layers of paint and thick verdigris on the back. A great piece.

B92B1666-E0F6-46A2-B90A-46D1C153623C.jpeg

Last edited:
where do you get old board fencing? A farmers field? it rely set's it off. a rely old time added fixture. I sure like it!

My neighbor replaced the fencing last year at our little 200yo rural neighborhood church last year. I hauled away the piles of old fence.

great, KUDDO'S to you ! waist not want not!! 200 yrs. old and still given a pleasure to the eye. just great!

where do you get old board fencing? A farmers field? it rely set's it off. a rely old time added fixture. I sure like it!
You can get "ship lac" at stores like Home Depot or Menards. It just wood wood made to look old. Gives that old time country kinda look. I did a wall in the kitchen for the wife. It is also called other things depending on who makes it.

Back