• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bore Swab Alternative

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wag

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi! For the scientifically inclined, please advise. I have a bottle of hand sanitizer with 74% alcohol, suspended in a Triethanalomine.
I am thinking of using it to swab my barrel.
Opinions (or facts šŸ˜Ž) ?

Well now. That's an ammonia molecule with friends. It's also a way to cut fatty acids (common in lubes). Might work well. It's an ingredient in most dishwashing detergent - and removes water insoluable oils.

I'm not sure it would work better or worse than saliva, but shouldnt hurt anything. Just don't drip on a oil-finished stock.

Try MAP.
Murphy's oil soap, Denatured alcohol, 3% Hydrogen peroxide from the drug store.
Love Murphy's. It works well as a substitute for Dawn. 'MAP' is good, too.

The hand sanitizer I referred to seems to be fine for a between shot swab.

For range wiping -
I carry a small bottle of windex. Fast drying, super easy to spray on a patch, no residue, inexpensive.
I have been carrying the small small bottle to the range for several years now.
Wiping with MAP is also OK, what I did not like about that is the sticky slow drying wait time.
With Windex, there is no wait time.

For range wiping -
I carry a small bottle of windex. Fast drying, super easy to spray on a patch, no residue, inexpensive.
I have been carrying the small small bottle to the range for several years now.
Wiping with MAP is also OK, what I did not like about that is the sticky slow drying wait time.
With Windex, there is no wait time.

Thanks. Another trip under the kitchen sink! šŸ˜Ž

Just picked up some hand sanitizer yesterday. 80% alcohol, remainder glycerine and hydrogen peroxide.
What think ye?
Dave

Might work but I don't see the glycerin adding anything useful. it could even be a problem.

Try MAP.
Murphy's oil soap, Denatured alcohol, 3% Hydrogen peroxide from the drug store.
Rust is FeO2 iron bound with oxygen. Hydrogen peroxide is water with a weakly held on oxygen atom. H2O2. Itā€™s very easy to knock off that extra oxygen. And oxygen loves to bind with something, anything. Thatā€™s why it fizzes up so easy. Thatā€™s that oxygen atom breaking off and rejoining something else. I donā€™t like exposing my gun to an active oxidizer.
I donā€™t know why folk go searching for something that does everything water does and is more expensive.

Thatā€™s that oxygen atom breaking off and rejoining something else.

When it fizzes it's going into the air. That's what fizz is, a molecule leaving the water. The water that remains coats the barrel, the extra O2 can't get to the steel.

Fear it if you feel better doing that do it. But please why scare others
I ain't skeered! I doubt that irreparable damage will be done by trying. I've seen people say that BLO never dries. Not my experience. I've seen people say that cherry fades exposed to light . Not my experience.. Most times I prefer my own trials even after listening to others advice, otherwise I would probably never do anything.
Dave

Well, I don't know as I've never tried peroxide, glycerin or most other ingredients. I use water, sometimes with a drop of Dawn, and it dissolves fouling just fine. WW fluid does well at the range as does a number of other readily available liquids. Use what works and doesn't harm the bore.

I've seen where some use Alcohol pads like what is used when you get a shot in the doctor's office. Supposed to clean really well and dries instantly. Any one here tried them?

Back