• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Getting the best from my Parker Hale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, giving ‘Mr. Parker’ (the gun’s nickname) a thorough clean before stowing him away for a while, I noticed that the leaf spring on the ladder sight was broken. Don’t know how it happened but the retaining screw is butchered (not me I promise) and will need some careful attention. Does anyone know where/if replacement ready made springs are available? Spring making is a skill I have yet to try.

66C22789-CA78-4BF2-860C-AFA06D1979F8.jpeg

Don’t want to buy a whole sight obviously. My last resort would be Make a two piece replacement without the spring but that would mean using a turnscrew to adjust the sight. Any and all (decent) suggestions will be welcome.

Today, giving ‘Mr. Parker’ (the gun’s nickname) a thorough clean before stowing him away for a while, I noticed that the leaf spring on the ladder sight was broken. Don’t know how it happened but the retaining screw is butchered (not me I promise) and will need some careful attention. Does anyone know where/if replacement ready made springs are available? Spring making is a skill I have yet to try.

View attachment 41298

Don’t want to buy a whole sight obviously. My last resort would be Make a two piece replacement without the spring but that would mean using a turnscrew to adjust the sight. Any and all (decent) suggestions will be welcome.
I don’t know if this sight spring will fit as a drop-in replacement or not. I hope someone can confirm or deny. It’s for a Euroarms musketoon.
https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EEM2407RSS

Thanks, however, the spring on my sight has the screw hole in the middle. I am already thinking none-spring steel With a coil spring under the screw.
I‘ll ask in another place I hang out in and let ya know what they advise.

I found that the shorter .568 bullet just would not stabilise in either my 1/78 or 1/48 twist Pat 53 and Pat 58 rifles. My .55 bullet seems to shoot best in both rifles, you do have to use the service charge of 2 1/2 drams of FFFg for best results. I might add that my bullet shoots better with out a plug. I cannot get the Pritchett to shoot quite as well as my Burton bullet, but you can shoot with these cartridges all day.

I am getting my Lyman PH bullets to print within a 16” circle at 100 yards with 45 grains Swiss No2. I plan to use the longer ‘Pritchett’ bullet modified with a base cavity. Knowing that the original rifle was not designed to keyhole shots at any distance, I wonder what will be the ultimate accuracy of my gun. Some members The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain shoot them out to 1000 yards with some considerable success. I have yet to find the best load/bullet combination for my gun. My range is 200 miles away so, sadly, it is more than just popping out for the next stage of the testing.

I have used paint scrapers and steel rulers to make flat springs and drilled them for screw holes then bent the legs as required.
So if you get stuck just grab your trusty paint scraper and cut a strip off the edge. Go slow with the drill and use a sharp one and I doubt you will have any trouble.

Good luck

I have used paint scrapers and steel rulers to make flat springs and drilled them for screw holes then bent the legs as required.
So if you get stuck just grab your trusty paint scraper and cut a strip off the edge. Go slow with the drill and use a sharp one and I doubt you will have any trouble.

Good luck

Paint scraper! Brilliant, thank you. 👏 Fettling shed, here I come.

Bisleyjohn, May I inquire as to what country made your replica Musketoon, and 1858 Enfield? I have seen Musketoons shoot inside a 4 inch circle at 100 yards. I own an 1858 Enfield made by Euroarms.

If u are shooting minnies you need to size the bullet 1 to 2 ths. under bore size. You need to find out the bore size and go from there. In addition the base plug needs to modified . Moose molds sells a mold with this modification, plus you can get the gun to shoot with a lot less powder.

Another winter project is to make my own sizing dies I have alreadt bored two, one each at 1 and 2 thou under the slugged bullet size. Top punch next.

Bisleyjohn, May I inquire as to what country made your replica Musketoon, and 1858 Enfield? I have seen Musketoons shoot inside a 4 inch circle at 100 yards. I own an 1858 Enfield made by Euroarms.

It’s a 1970’s Parker Hale ‘Enfield’ Navy two band. Sadly, I don’t have a Musketoon. I am, however, selling off my nitro toys with a view to extending my BP research.

As high the quality is of Parker Hale reproductions are they won't shoot unless they are bedded under the breach and are not touching the lock plate via the nipple bolster.
Total waste of bullets and powder until that is eliminated.

As high the quality is of Parker Hale reproductions are they won't shoot unless they are bedded under the breach and are not touching the lock plate via the nipple bolster.
Total waste of bullets and powder until that is eliminated.

Agreed, nipple bolster already relieved, bedding is number 3 on the winter project list. Number one being ROA base pins.number 2, fettle second Baker repro kit. Number four, sizing dies. Whilst best accuracy is not yet possible, the joy of shooting it remains. As always, my reason for joining this great forum was a thirst for knowledge, especially regarding the Enfield. Inestimable time on the range has been saved by my doing so. 👍👏

It’s a 1970’s Parker Hale ‘Enfield’ Navy two band. Sadly, I don’t have a Musketoon. I am, however, selling off my nitro toys with a view to extending my BP research.
When I owned an Armi Sport 1861 Springfield I was shooting an RCBS .576 minnie. I had thought about going to a .578 RCBS in the 1858 Euroarms. The .576 improved the Springfields grouping a lot tighter. But with the current price of lead, my Enfield replica may just become a wall hanger or get sold.

Went off track today, did job four on the project list. Two piece sizing die. Bullets now mike at .565. Trouble is, it wll be two weeks before I can test them. Pics later it's Guinness time :p;)

Back