• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunter killed by elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't blame the elk.

Think about it, the elk was shot with an arrow and had all night long to think about it. Guy shows up next morning and promptly put another arrow into the elk.

Elk has now had enough,it is revenge time. Good thing elk don't carry revolvers!
I say the same thing. bow hunting for elk and bear should be banned

I wasn't there, but im guessing the first arrow didn't hit the vitals. Maybe a shoulder hit, or too far back, who's to say.

I've been a bow hunter about 20years, the wound a broadhead makes has to be seen to believed. Bob is spot on, i've seen broadhead wounds you could put your arm in.

I recall Elmer Keith write about a wounded elk try to get him, he emptied his 32-20 Colt into it.

Be careful out there.
I cant see elmer keith using such a low powered round like that

Funny to me how many people jump on the bow/arrow, or caliber/power of a gun, in these cases. Each one of the "issues" presented here resulted from a poor hit, not a lack of power of lethality of the projectile. Even the best of shots make a less than perfect shot now an then, for a whole host of reasons. A poor hit is a poor hit, regardless of power or projectile type, and a poor hit leads to poor results.
but if you walk up on a wounded elk with a rifle and he gets up a lot easier to put a couple more into him. you cant do nothing with a stupid bow

My closest was hunting in the Brooks Range of northern Alaska with my old Pop and a buddy of his about 1989. We spent the morning scoping out a valley and spotted a big beautiful silver-back Toklat Mountain Grizz on the tundra about 5 miles away. Hours after heading out we crested a knoll only to see this Grizz reared up on his hind legs, smelling us the moment we spotted him about 200 yards away. Pop's partner, since the first shot was Pop's by drawn straws, (I was the shotgun man. Last line of defense.) yelled "Shoot him Bob!" at which time Pop hauled up with his 30-06 and after a moment's pause fired offhand hitting the Grizz in the shoulder. The Grizz did a flip and reared back up, catching our scent again and headed towards us at full speed. Pop shot the second time, hitting him in the paw (a Grizz running at 30 mph is a hard target to hit). My memory after this moment is of Gordon, Pop's best buddy starting to scream, "Shoot him again! Shoot him again!" as I, at 17 years old, racked a 3" 00 Buck Shot shell into the chamber and made a little water in my Wranglers as Gordon dropped his rifle and pawed at the .44 Magnum on his hip. Pop, a Vietnam Combat Vet, Purple Heart recipient, racked another into the bore of his old Model 700 and stood there, aiming through his 3x9 Unertl scope, frozen in time in my memory, with Gordon screaming and me peeing and Pop standing there....Pop fired, "BANG!" and the Grizz at 30 yards away let go his legs and slid on his chin about 10' before sliding to a stop about 30' from us, with a clean white hole in his forehead...... I still dribble a bit when I think about that day. Many of that generation, and most of the one before, were men.
what movie was that scene in?

Yep.
And then we can ban the use of muzzleloaders next. Everyone knows any rifle that produces less than 4000 ft lbs of energy is not lethal enough for elk and bear...

A lot of elk and bear have been killed quickly and cleanly with a modern broadhead (I know some who've done it), while a lot have been wounded with said 4000+ ft lb producing rifles...

It isn't the weapon, it's the person using it.

I am not a bow hunter but have no qualms with those that do as stated hunting is hunting no matter what type of weapon you us. Common sense with any type of wounded animal must take presence when approaching them. I would bet the fellow who shot the elk was excited about the elk when finding it and all common sense went out the window. I had a incident a few years back with a nice buck deer shot him with a .62 cal smooth bore at about 30 yards went down like he was hit with a Mack truck between two big boulders, took my time re-loaded the gun watched the deer for about 15 mins. decided to approach him . Came in on the lower side of one of the boulders stopped and watched him for breathing his eyes were open with that dead deer gaze. About that time he threw those antlers into the boulder between him and me I was only about 7 or 8 yards from him well the second shot in the boiler maker put a end to that. Made for tense moments there.

I don’t know about ‘no knockdown power’. My modern bow shoots 3” foldout broadheads at 400fps that pass straight through leaving a wound big enough you can run your arm through a deer or black bear. It may not hit like a Mack truck but it’s like being ran through the necessaries by a kilted Argyl.
The problem with an arrow is lack of kinetic energy: impact, shock, the POW factor.

I don’t know about ‘no knockdown power’. My modern bow shoots 3” foldout broadheads at 400fps that pass straight through leaving a wound big enough you can run your arm through a deer or black bear. It may not hit like a Mack truck but it’s like being ran through the necessaries by a kilted Argyl.
Arrows kill by hemmorage not knock down power. Most game i’ve killed with a sharp stick only live a matter of seconds. What surprises some folks is how far a deer can go in 15 seconds and how much meat a bear dan eat in that time. Archery is more dangerous game-wise, but you never hear ( hopefully) of a hunter accidentally shooting another hunter after mistaking him for a deer..

Bows were invented in the new world about five thousand years after they were invented in the old and the East.
It’s thought that human hunters pretty much hunted many american animas to extinction at the end of the ice age. Mammoth, mastodons, short faced bear, American horses and American camels short horned bison, giant sloths were all killed real well with pointy sticks.
I have several reasons to not believe extinction of mega fauna was caused by people, but caused or not people ate lots of elk and bear meat for about ten thousand years befor Powder was burned in America

As said above, a bow kills not by shock or foot pounds of energy, but by massive hemmorage, ie. Bleed out.
They still hunt wild boars with a sharp stick on horseback. My dad's old trapper friend in east Texas killed dozens of wild hogs with a butcher knife and a pack of hounds to hold at it bay.

This incident has nothing to do with the weapon used, but a poorly placed shot and an equally poor follow up.

I posted it as a reminder to shoot straight, take your time and be safe.

The problem with an arrow is lack of kinetic energy: impact, shock, the POW factor.
POW has never been a problem for me when I've hunted with a bow. Shoot, watch, wait, and then go get it... While I have had deer and hogs drop in their tracks after being hit with a .54, I have also had them run 150 yards after being shot through the heart with 3500 ft lbs of POW that took out everything. Some critters just don't seem to know they're dead, and have the ability to shrug off being hit with a very mortal wound. As has been mentioned already, approaching a "dead" animal requires a bit of caution...

I am heading towards 66 years of age and as long as I can walk I will hunt anything that's legal with what ever is a legal weapon to hunt it with, Working on a mule deer, antelope hunt right now for next Oct. then will settle in and save some money and build points for Mr. Elk figure I should be about 69 or 70 bye that time. this has nothing to do with age but does deal with caution and common sense.

Back in my native Georgia I always waited about an hour before going to claim a shot deer. The reason was because during that hour other deer would often come by allowing me to drop 3 to 4 deer in short order. With a limit of 12 one could let them walk and still have a nice one traipse along later.

Back in my native Georgia I always waited about an hour before going to claim a shot deer. The reason was because during that hour other deer would often come by allowing me to drop 3 to 4 deer in short order. With a limit of 12 one could let them walk and still have a nice one traipse along later.

Georgia has a limit of 12 or a limit of 12 per day? I ask seriously as TN has a 3 per day in my zone for a total of about a 100 doe limit for the season. Only 2 Bucks per season though.

Latest posts

Back