• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

more than a hobby

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As i had posted last year i was at a auction and had found a Cherokee kit unfinished. The price was right so i pulled the trigger (sorry couldn't resist ). I'm not much into half stock rifles so i really didn't know what i was going to do with it. So it was just thrown in the closet and left . Well this spring my Grand daughter (12yrs old) decided she did not have enough on her plate do with her 4 H club ( she does rifle, pistol, rabbits and living history ). She decided to do muzzle loading for as well. Mind you i have tried to get her to shoot one with me at the range but NO.. So i started looking for a youth gun for her or one i could cut down to fit. Then i remembered i had the Cherokee kit in the closet. So i showed it to her and told her she had to build it her self ( with my help ). I didn't know at the time how much this would end up meaning to me and the joy that it would bring. Just a short note i'm 55 years old and raising a 12 yr old ( girl ) not the easy'est thing there is. Any way we work on the kit for several months and got it done in time for her shooting sport classes began :thumb: . Then came the topping on the cake she took 1st place in muzzle loading and second in rifle this year , she should have got to go to state fair and compete there but it was canceled. This has brought the two of us so much closer together we spend more time at the range and now we even spend time molding lead balls and making our own accouterments. I cant belive that a hobby that seams to be almost forgotten has given me so much , i can not begin to explain how proud i am of her and how happy i'am that i got to spend this time with her, i just hope that there are more of us out there that has had the same or similar story. If not please try it for your self get a cheap kit find a child even if there not your flesh and blood (Barrow one from a fiend) see how much your and happiness it can bring you.
sorry didnt know how to change the date / time on the gopro. had more pics but they were to large to upload it said.
vlcsnap-2020-07-31-20h05m44s240.png

Great story. I think we need more dad's like you out there. I have two young boys and completely understand the joy and satisfaction that you talk about. Passing this stuff on is what it is all about. Really enjoyed reading and thanks for sharing it with us. Looks like you made your grand daughter a muzzleloader shooter for life!

Last edited:
thanks guys we have been talking about doing a couple of powder horns this fall together be a first for both of us have to see how it goes

Great story my granddaughter started hunting with me when she was 12 years old she is now going on 20 and with college, part time jobs and a full life she is too busy a girl to spend time in the woods with the old man. Perhaps one day she will she will come back too hunt a bit. Those were shinin times and great memories.

Thorr...................I appreciate what you were fortunate to enjoy w/ your grand daughter. If you can please do as much w/her as is possible. I was blessed to have enjoyed my sons life for the forty eight years . He is in his Father's arms just now. We built his first flint deer rifle together. Hunted wearing capotes , Shot deer and much other game , together , for table meat. I am blessed to have the priceless memories.....oldwood

thorr,
Thanks so much for sharing your story. It was wonderful. Being able to pass along a passion to younger folks is such a pleasure. Good luck with the powder horns and please let us know how they come out when the time comes.

Jeff

Back