• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Really Should Shoot This Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had this Walker Uberti replica for 8-10 years, it remains unfired. May take it to the range next week. Recommended loads:

2Z9Q4B3l.jpg

50 to 60 grains of 3Fg black powder, Pyrodex or 777 powder. .454 diameter lead roundballs and #10 percussion caps.

Lighter powder loads can be used but if that is done, a corn meal, Cream of Wheat or some other filler should be placed between the powder charge and the ball.

Zonie, what's the purpose of the filler ?

50 to 60 grains of 3Fg black powder, Pyrodex or 777 powder. .454 diameter lead roundballs and #10 percussion caps.

Lighter powder loads can be used but if that is done, a corn meal, Cream of Wheat or some other filler should be placed between the powder charge and the ball.

Most of the cap & ball revolver shooters agree, the gun is most accurate when the ball loaded flush with, or slightly below the face of the cylinder.

This is fine if the powder (and wad if you use them) totally fill the chamber leaving only enough room for the ball but, if a small powder load is used, it will leave a large space in the chamber unfilled.

While having a gap between the powder and the ball is not dangerous, it does lead to inconsistencies in the way the powder burns and this can change the point of impact of the ball or bullet.

Faced with this fact, to eliminate the inconsistencies, either the ball will need to be forced completely down the chamber so it is resting on the powder or, some sort of filler will need to be added to fill up the void. That's where the corn meal or Cream of Wheat comes into the picture.

I'm in the same boat. Got one for Xmas some years back, about 10. I noticed the load lever seemed kind of loose so I tried to bend it a little. Big mistake, it snapped off. I wrote a letter to Dixie GWs and they were on back order but they sent me one free of charge but it took all most a year to get one. By then I kinda lost interest so it has set unfired.

Got it. Either full loads or filler.

Most of the cap & ball revolver shooters agree, the gun is most accurate when the ball loaded flush with, or slightly below the face of the cylinder.

This is fine if the powder (and wad if you use them) totally fill the chamber leaving only enough room for the ball but, if a small powder load is used, it will leave a large space in the chamber unfilled.

While having a gap between the powder and the ball is not dangerous, it does lead to inconsistencies in the way the powder burns and this can change the point of impact of the ball or bullet.

Faced with this fact, to eliminate the inconsistencies, either the ball will need to be forced completely down the chamber so it is resting on the powder or, some sort of filler will need to be added to fill up the void. That's where the corn meal or Cream of Wheat comes into the picture.

I owned a Walker once, only once, Had read that the cylinder would hold 70 grs. each chamber, so thought I might try it. Loaded the cylinder with 70 grs. each chamber. Never was so glad when the cylinder was empty. It kicked quit a lot, the loading lever dropped down with each shot. The weight is like holding an anvil. Someone else owns it today. He rode a mule is the weight was OK for him.

Kinda makes a body wonder how Clint Eastwood's character in Josey Wales held up under two Walkers, at least one M1860 Army and a Colt Pocket Navy.
12-13lbs of pistols ??

I owned a Walker once, only once, Had read that the cylinder would hold 70 grs. each chamber, so thought I might try it. Loaded the cylinder with 70 grs. each chamber. Never was so glad when the cylinder was empty. It kicked quit a lot, the loading lever dropped down with each shot. The weight is like holding an anvil. Someone else owns it today. He rode a mule is the weight was OK for him.

Back