• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunter killed by elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't blame the elk.

Think about it, the elk was shot with an arrow and had all night long to think about it. Guy shows up next morning and promptly put another arrow into the elk.

Elk has now had enough,it is revenge time. Good thing elk don't carry revolvers!

Last edited:
Hunting is an inherently dangerous blood sport. Injured or ****** off animals can and will injure or kill hunters, and some do so every year. Other hunters are a danger also. Hunters are killed or injured yearly by other hunters.
Many of us that hunt believe that because we have the weapon that little harm can come to us. Large horned beasts have better close in weapons than the hunter generally does. Antlers and legs and feet like spears. Not to mention some critters that we might aggravate that are really fast and have teeth. I always hunt with as much caution as I am able.

It is a dangerous sport, I have known of men killed by other hunters, wounded by family, crippled in falls.

This news story is one reason I was never into bow hunting....as a friend put it "no knockdown power."

I don’t know about ‘no knockdown power’. My modern bow shoots 3” foldout broadheads at 400fps that pass straight through leaving a wound big enough you can run your arm through a deer or black bear. It may not hit like a Mack truck but it’s like being ran through the necessaries by a kilted Argyl.

Last edited:
I wasn't there, but im guessing the first arrow didn't hit the vitals. Maybe a shoulder hit, or too far back, who's to say.

I've been a bow hunter about 20years, the wound a broadhead makes has to be seen to believed. Bob is spot on, i've seen broadhead wounds you could put your arm in.

I recall Elmer Keith write about a wounded elk try to get him, he emptied his 32-20 Colt into it.

Be careful out there.

My closest call while hunting was as a teen Turkey hunting, my buddy and i were calling with a box call. A gobbler answered, being an amatuer we moved towards the sound. This went on, we hunkered down behind a cedar bush. We called again, the gobbler answered, really close.
We raised up and stared into a shotgun barrel about 20 steps away, behind it was another Turkey hunter!
Too close for me...

My closest was hunting in the Brooks Range of northern Alaska with my old Pop and a buddy of his about 1989. We spent the morning scoping out a valley and spotted a big beautiful silver-back Toklat Mountain Grizz on the tundra about 5 miles away. Hours after heading out we crested a knoll only to see this Grizz reared up on his hind legs, smelling us the moment we spotted him about 200 yards away. Pop's partner, since the first shot was Pop's by drawn straws, (I was the shotgun man. Last line of defense.) yelled "Shoot him Bob!" at which time Pop hauled up with his rifle and after a moment's pause fired offhand hitting the Grizz in the shoulder. The Grizz did a flip and reared back up, catching our scent again and headed towards us at full speed. Pop shot the second time, hitting him in the paw (a Grizz running at 30 mph is a hard target to hit). My memory after this moment is of Gordon, Pop's best buddy starting to scream, "Shoot him again! Shoot him again!" as I, at 17 years old, racked a 3" 00 Buck Shot shell into the chamber and made a little water in my Wranglers as Gordon dropped his rifle and pawed at the handgun on his hip. Pop, a Vietnam Combat Vet, Purple Heart recipient, racked another into the bore of his old shotgun and stood there, aiming , frozen in time in my memory, with Gordon screaming and me peeing and Pop standing there....Pop fired, "BANG!" and the Grizz at 30 yards away let go his legs and slid on his chin about 10' before sliding to a stop about 30' from us, with a clean white hole in his forehead...... I still dribble a bit when I think about that day. Many of that generation, and most of the one before, were men.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot over 100 deer with a bow most dead in seconds (faster then some of my gun kills , a three bladed 1-1 1/2 hole through the lungs/heart kills fast!)a few needed extra time. Never walk up on a wounded game animal , if unsure put another round/s or arrow/s until your sure it's dead closed eyes = live animal
This is my one and done Bear was running straight at me (stander Pa drive) all 4 shots hit vitals. Dropped dead 10 yrds from me, first shot at 40, 30. 20 last to make sure . I was told by the old Timers keep shooting till it stops/dead fur soaks up the blood makes trailing hard
IMG_2487[702].JPG
My fastest kills have been with muzzle loaders .54 hit/dirt many times(no tracking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I shoot a deer I stay put for 30 mins. I've never walked upon a still living deer doing that....

This practice is a mandatory safety / public relations rule for the bow (only) hunters in our suburban county deer control program.

Unfortunately, he was not the first, nor will he be the last person to be killed by an Elk or other big game critter. 😷 👎

Hunting is not a "safe" sport or activity, regardless of game sought.
How many people have been "accidentally" (note quotes) killed or wounded by another "hunter" (note quotes) who saw movement and fired, or "mistook" a hunter calling, as a spring turkey, for example? 😷👎

I read years ago when I lived in Missouri, that the spring turkey season nation wide, was among the most dangerous times to be in the field. More "accidental" shootings than in any other season.

BTW: I agree there is no valid excuse for mistaking a person -- with or without blaze orange -- for whatever critter is in season.

Funny to me how many people jump on the bow/arrow, or caliber/power of a gun, in these cases. Each one of the "issues" presented here resulted from a poor hit, not a lack of power of lethality of the projectile. Even the best of shots make a less than perfect shot now an then, for a whole host of reasons. A poor hit is a poor hit, regardless of power or projectile type, and a poor hit leads to poor results.

Not a result of shooting something but just being stupid. Just cross the Utah border about fifty miles west of Grand Junction Colorado moving north toward the bookend on a trek stepped in to an arroyo only to be bit by a rattlesnake. I was alone and afoot cell phones was twenty years in the future. Little I could do. I was lucky.
Crossing a small creak in the Buffalo national river area while trekking I stopped to change my moccs stirring on a log only to catch a copperhead bite there . Had a cell phone had no reception and a long walk to any help.
I’m mindful off places snakes could be but you can’t check them all.

Latest posts

Back