• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinion on this rifles time period.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a humble brag thread, but I do love looking at this rifle even given its faults!

Bought it a year ago on ALF, it was listed for some time and had some issues. Contemporary rifle, two barrels (a .40 and the original Rice .50), sights were not correct, flat head screws all over, carving was not the best, it had been shortened to accommodate the 38” .40 barrel...that work was not done well and the center ramrod pipe was no longer centered, the barrels were blued and the ramrod was a disaster.

Corrected all of that except for the carving and I am just in love with this rifle.

My question...based on the architecture and furniture how would you date this rifle to time and place?

I’m not a historian of long rifle style, but the best guess I can come up with Wolfgang Haga and early 1770’s. Obviously this is a rifle that may not be a perfect recreation (or maybe it is for all I know) but what does it fit closest to in your eyes?

35BAE161-4649-4AB1-B35C-17D90F2CE1C0.jpeg
3B0F78EA-E004-4E82-975E-C20965005531.jpeg
6FF847B0-4C1F-40DD-9B89-CDFAA04554BE.jpeg
35BAE161-4649-4AB1-B35C-17D90F2CE1C0.jpeg
3B0F78EA-E004-4E82-975E-C20965005531.jpeg
6FF847B0-4C1F-40DD-9B89-CDFAA04554BE.jpeg
568C8676-11DC-4F9D-84AF-6E86D81C80C3.jpeg
ABA3E9A9-9C17-4684-8B49-03F719060402.jpeg

Not trying to be a smart a&&, but I’d say 1995.?
Lehigh patchbox and sheath type buttplate, more of a NE style or Lancaster stock.
It’s weird, but pretty.
I don’t know how you’d put it in any historical time frame.
if it shoots, make up your own story.
I appreciate the humor! Just trying to a feel for what’s there... Not interested in making anything up.

I found this rifle attributed to Haga and that motivated me to ask the question.

E4828316-A16A-41D8-8098-A5D2EFD1157F.png

Gunmakers today make ‘composite’ guns that don’t match any school or with a imagined backstory it could be a ‘parts gun’, maybe made by a poor apprentice gunsmith on the frontier after being given or finding a pile of parts and having lost his rifle for one reason or another. Later the stock was shortened because _____ happened. The story you give it is what makes it plausible.

Nifty little rifle.

Still interested in a learned analysis of this rifles features that isn’t immediately dismissive.

But, maybe a different question for those that have responded about making up a story...is there any general feature of this rifle that definitely dates it past a certain time period? (I know nothing is 100% certain in these things)

For example the butt plate might never be common prior to the Rev War, or the lock style is 1780’s or later.

It looks like a 1790-1815 Lancaster to me although the patch box design is earlier. Perhaps 1770?
Speaking of the patch box and the rest of the furniture, it looks like German Silver which would put it in the 1840+ time period unless it is made from sterling silver.

Parts were reused all time. A settler or indian would bring in what parts he had after breaking the gun, and the gunsmith would use them and what he had laying around to repair the gun.

Besides, 99% of the people looking at a gun don't know what area it is representing. When I build a gun, I tell people it is an Autauga county rifle. That is where I live. Most don't know I'm putting them on.

Parts were reused all time. A settler or indian would bring in what parts he had after breaking the gun, and the gunsmith would use them and what he had laying around to repair the gun.

Besides, 99% of the people looking at a gun don't know what area it is representing. When I build a gun, I tell people it is an Autauga county rifle. That is where I live. Most don't know I'm putting them on.

I get that most people don’t/won’t know and likely won’t care. But I do.

I want to get myself, but really my two sons into this sport and attending events...so I am trying to figure out what can go where and not show up with gear that looks ridiculously out of place.

I hope you build a good rifle.

It looks like a 1790-1815 Lancaster to me although the patch box design is earlier. Perhaps 1770?
Speaking of the patch box and the rest of the furniture, it looks like German Silver which would put it in the 1840+ time period unless it is made from sterling silver.

Thank you Zonie! Exactly what I was looking for. It’s is German silver all around. Maybe I will just say it’s Sterling!

I was hoping it was more prewar than post, but I think it may be more invthe time period you mentioned (except for that small detail about the furniture...)

It's a good looking gun that should be Welcomed at any shoot.

The only exception might be at a juried event or a truly Historical event.

It's a good looking gun that should be Welcomed at any shoot.

The only exception might be at a juried event or a truly Historical event.
And that is the reason I stay away from the SNOTS and SNOBS - like the kind you meet at an English Dog Show. If you have ever been to an English dog show you know what I mean.

The restoration and re-finish on that gun makes it a beautiful rifle. The wood is really attractive and the finish brings it all out.
If it were in my collection it would be be proudly displayed and shot with pride.

I appreciate the humor! Just trying to a feel for what’s there... Not interested in making anything up.

I found this rifle attributed to Haga and that motivated me to ask the question.

View attachment 41697
I'm not a historian by any stretch but that's a really handsome rifle. If somebody wants to be snarky about it's pedigree- you don't need them anyway. I'd hunt with it and be a happy man. I promise you- the deer won't care.

It looks pretty Reading-y to me. Mitch’s gun is pretty close but it’s hard to tell without seeing the cheekpiece or any cheek side ingraving. If it’s not a bench copy it’s going to be a “could’ve been made in this county or shop in this period” sort of rifle, a parts rifle, or a composite of several schools. I think you could say Southern Pa 1770ish.

As stated why worry it is a very nice looking rifle .even at a juried event most folks probably to include the folks putting on the event does not readily know one school of rifle makers from another. Show up a strictly juried event for say French and Indian time period carrying a House rifle and you would be the super star. It is your gun and a very nice one enjoy it to h!!! with what others think.

Hi,
Here is a Reading gun in a style attributed to Haga. Remember there are no signed Wolfgang Haga rifles so every one is an attribution.
fcmxves.jpg

EEEBO6U.jpg

SehkThP.jpg

7J5zoH4.jpg

jJtRGZ1.jpg

Rsr4Rkc.jpg

1fAD9wK.jpg

Early Reading guns have thick butts, the beginnings of the "Roman Nose" butt stock shape, one piece muzzle caps that are screwed into the bottom flat of the barrel, large bulky cheek pieces, no engraving, and a unique shaping to the step at the rear ramrod pipe and molding along the ramrod channel.

Here is another gun styled after guns from Reading:
vtyITem.jpg

omDXFsy.jpg

OBYWKRo.jpg

xsQcZcH.jpg

2CcG31Z.jpg

dave

Not a humble brag thread, but I do love looking at this rifle even given its faults!

Bought it a year ago on ALF, it was listed for some time and had some issues. Contemporary rifle, two barrels (a .40 and the original Rice .50), sights were not correct, flat head screws all over, carving was not the best, it had been shortened to accommodate the 38” .40 barrel...that work was not done well and the center ramrod pipe was no longer centered, the barrels were blued and the ramrod was a disaster.

Corrected all of that except for the carving and I am just in love with this rifle.

My question...based on the architecture and furniture how would you date this rifle to time and place?

I’m not a historian of long rifle style, but the best guess I can come up with Wolfgang Haga and early 1770’s. Obviously this is a rifle that may not be a perfect recreation (or maybe it is for all I know) but what does it fit closest to in your eyes?

View attachment 41674View attachment 41675View attachment 41676View attachment 41674View attachment 41675View attachment 41676View attachment 41677View attachment 41678
Sheesh, what's not to like? Beautiful furniture, good looking bling, only thing you could ask for up and above that is a decent shot group............?

Back