• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

12 gauge recoil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you load heavy charges then a seven pound weight 12 bore sxs will kick . Heavy loads are not needed it is just a waste of powder and shot.
Feltwad

Pilgrim..........Perhaps you need to look at some things. One , does your shotgun fit you. Is the length of pull roughly correct?? When shooting as in clay bird shooting , are you crawling up on the stock to align the sight on the rib, if the gun has one? If you try a modern trap/skeet shooting stance , by positioning your arm at a right angle to the side of your body , and laying your cheek on the gun and seeing the sight. Do this and felt recoil is lessened. Again , If you shoulder the gun the same each time ,and you have to crawl over the gun to see the sight,perhaps the gun doesn't fit properly. A shotgun that doesn't fit well will kick the sh_ t out of you.. Another benefit of raising your elbow when shouldering the gun is , this allows your body to twist at the waist , back and forth , instead of moving your head and neck around to find the sight , which again increases felt recoil. All I can say is , get some help before recoil ruins you're experience.................oldwood.

Not speaking to waterfowl or turkey, I agree that loads greater then 1-1 1/8Oz of shot are generally not needed. Once the barrel(s) are regulated, the priority of the shape of a stock on a shotgun used for wing shooting is to set length, drop, cast, etc to enable directing the shot charge with a consistent head position , cheek on the stock, and “where the eyes are looking“. If a ball is then used, one can index the sight picture for POI, or even use a form of rear sight. (Contrary to popular opinion, rear sights of various forms were found on early Fowler’s, aiding accurate roundball shooting). The recoil of a shotgun with shot or ball is quite different from a high powered rifle where recoil velocity produces a much sharper “kick” as opposed to a push, made even more so with black powder. A flat/wide butt plate helps distribute the force. With practice, a 6 1/2-7 1/2 pound shotgun with 1-1 1/8 Oz of shot at 1100-1200FPS should be easily manageable with a person of average build The relatively lighter roundball driven 100-200FPS faster should be comparable in recoil. IMO.

Take a look at some of the trap shooters now a days and you will see a lot of young girls that weigh in the 105 - 110 pound range shooting a 12 gauge and winning. If you are hunting then you will be using some shot and powder charge that will dispatch your game quickly and that means more recoil. I never notice recoil be it from a rifle or shotgun when I am hunting my focus is on my target not the recoil. I also shoot registered trap and in some matches I have shot in 500 round matches in one day - you don't think about recoil you think about WINNING!

Back