• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoldering wad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small amount of lube should do the trick. Don't smother it with it, just a small amount.

I had smouldering wadding in my smooth bore using paper for wads. A little lube on the patch closest to the powder stopped it. It wont hurt the powder as long as it's not a real liquid kind of lube.

I've had the same experience, too. A little dab of your favorite patch lube should take care of everything. Alternatively, you could use a leather over powder wad, then a ball of tow, your ball and finally another wad of tow on top of the ball.

I mostly use a blend of beeswax and olive oil or beeswax and coconut oil, in varying consistencies. How stiff a mixture I make and use depends on intended use and season of use. For patch lube or lube that I only intend to use for patches or wads, I will add a bit of Murphy's oil soap.

I can put some in a container and get it to you if you want some.

A small amount of lube should do the trick. Don't smother it with it, just a small amount.

I had smouldering wadding in my smooth bore using paper for wads. A little lube on the patch closest to the powder stopped it. It wont hurt the powder as long as it's not a real liquid kind of lube.
I used wadded up waxed paper when I was a kid and teenager. Worked great, and no smoldering.

Grease/lube is a good suggestion. I use green grass or green leaves when it's very dry out and it seems to shoot just as well for me as tow.

Tow next to the powder is going to smolder. Unless the lube keeps the wadded up tow from opening up when fired, a flammable lube could make it worse. In my experience any wad next to the powder that is not firm enough to retain its shape under the pressure of the exploding powder, will widen patterns.

Whatever is used, extreme caution must be part of the equation. Right now many parts of the country are suffering very dry conditions. Large areas are burning with wildfires. Check your wads and stomp them out after every shot.

Back