• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Siler lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought all the parts necessary to build a percussion Tennessee long rifle. Well part of these purchases was a Small Siler percussion lock. I am probably finally get going but I would rather child a fainter. Is the small siler flint dimensionly the the same as the percussion lock. The stock i have already has the lock relieved.

Just for what it's worth, I have a small Siler in the first gun I built from a raw blank and damn, that's a fine lock. I was at rendezvous last weekend and a buddy followed me through the woods walk and he couldn't get over how instantaneous the lock is and I agree, it's absolutely foolproof and is very quick. I have some Chamber's late Ketlands that I like a lot, plus a number of other locks that are perfectly acceptable, but I think the small Siler in flint is my favorite. I just ordered pistol parts for my sons and they both chose Siler percussion locks, but I really wish I could have talked them into small Siler flintlocks. I may have to build a pistol for myself at some point with the small Siler flint I like them so much.

The small Silers are great locks. Currently two of these locks are on a pistol and a tiny SMR. All flint of course.

When building my first LR {1976}, I chose a small Siler flintlock and have regretted my choice ever since. The cock doesn't retract enough in the full cock position to allow a longer flint.....so after a few shots, the frizzen doesn't toggle over. Tolerated this for a few years and then solved the problem.......ground a step in the frizzen spring at the point of toggling over and now it works fine.

Possibly Chambers has corrected this { my small Siler was made by Siler} and possibly now the cock retracts further back.....Fred

The old Silers could be improuved by replaceing the scear for a North Star Trade Gun scear . Tom Fuller use to knap shorter flints for what he labeled 'Sila' locks .
Rudyard

The Siler percussion wasn't a problem only the short throw of the flint one needed the special flint ,or a longer nosed scear .Mostly its impeding the steel at half cock was the problem . Most users considered the Siler locks the best they knew and specified guns using their locks when Ide point out there where more appropriate locks available . But used the Siler since it was their order so don't argue Rudyard! .
Rudyard

The old Silers could be improuved by replaceing the scear for a North Star Trade Gun scear . Tom Fuller use to knap shorter flints for what he labeled 'Sila' locks .
Rudyard

I have one on the bench right now. IT is older but I do not know when it was made. The cock is also to far forward at 1/2 cock. The full cock notch is too close to the 1/2 cock IMHO. The cock pulls back a very long distance past full cock. It does need a longer sear nose. I will make a new sear as part of the pistol build. Strangely the cock was pointing down and forward. I was able to heat the neck, bend and get that squared away. IT sparks much better with the new angle of the flint to the frizzen.

Back