• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC nipple wrench.....is there a substitute?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need a nipple wrench....on my CVA I just used my thumb and index finger but the TC....like the wedge.....not happening. Is there a readily available substitute tool that will work without issue?

Just about ANY nipple wrench will work. There is nothing special about the TC - they use common nipples.
For my bench, I got a nice T handle one that is super easy to use.
I did have to slightly taper the business end to get into a couple of my snails that have close tolerances.
I carry a slider handled T wrench in my range bag - just in case....
20200822_102334.jpg

How bout a small cresent wrench with the handle in line with nipple? Limits overtightening when installing. If to tight to loosen put a bigger cresent wrench across handle. Worked for me for 40 years. I carry one in range box,comes in handy for lots of other jobs.

TC 51017428
Midway 585740
And
Traditions ZA1421
Vitalarms.com
I have both. They are tough.

Here is the tool I use, three tools in one, hammer for tapping the wedge, puller for pulling the wedge and nipple wrench. It's made by T/C, a little pricey but it works or I would not have kept and used it for 30 + years.

Attachments

• DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00743.JPG
    DSC00743.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00744.JPG
    DSC00744.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00745.JPG
    DSC00745.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I need a nipple wrench....on my CVA I just used my thumb and index finger but the TC....like the wedge.....not happening. Is there a readily available substitute tool that will work without issue?

Greg, I once was having issues with a cap gun misfiring and had a load in that wouldn't fire.

After removing the nipple a couple of times cleaning it and sprinkling in a couple grains of powder to get the gun too fire.....

It did and blew the finger tight nipple right out of the gun!

After that near miss, I made sure the nipple was tightened in place with a wrench...

Apparently the threads on the nipple gave way, I never found it.
But a new nipple screwed right in and was tightened snug with the nipple wrench.

The old nipple was worn a fair amount and needed change anyway... I'm just glad I didn't have the old one embedded in my forehead for a souvenir.

It blew the hammer back into the cocked position , so no telling which way the nipple really went.

I've used the 3-tool T/C wrench for almost 40 years. It's the same one Nutnfancy showed above. The first one came with my T/C Renegade and I've picked up a few more over the years. Compact, versatile and handy. Also, I use a white lithium grease on the nipples of all my percussion guns, the same stuff I put on the C&B arbors. Never had a stuck nipple.

Jeff

Back