• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Denatured alcohol for MAP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I mixed up a batch yesterday, and may get a chance to get to the range this weekend again with my pistol. Will try using this about every other shot or every third one.

I like the idea of using this as my patch lube, but all of the patches that I use are already pre-lubed, and I'm trying to keep it that way for consistency purposes.

Interesting. My first reaction many years ago was that the individual that first concocted MAP was a chemist. After years of trying all the usual solvents, messy hot water pumping, etc, etc, which was OK for an easily removable barrel, I always considered cleaning a chore with my pinned barrels. To pour a few ounces of MAP down the barrel after plugging the vent, inverting the barrel a couple of times over a 5 minute period, and then wiping dry After a couple of patches to observe a perfectly clean patch...was a revelation! The liquid poured out of the barrel was not much different in color from the liquid that was poured in. The pH of the spent liquid was near that of water(7, +/- 1 pH unit, tested with a pH test strip) Being used in water purification systems to help activate carbon. Peroxide is depleted to water and oxygen when put in contact with carbon. Used in MAP, the carbon appears to be converted to CO2 which between the two reactions, is the “pssst”(release of gas) when you remove your finger from the end of the barrel after inverting. Where else would the usual black carbon residue go that would turn the liquid dark grey in a soapy “bucket” of water go? I suspect the alcohol and Murphy’s are additional cleaners to help solubilize the other residues. I’m not certain that anyone knows what may be exactly going on with the MAP mixture, but I recon that I have saved myself at least 100 hours of cleaning time over 20 years, and have not noticed even a spec of rust or corrosion using this process. I’d rather be shooting then cleaning!!!

You win the Kewpie doll Art,
First person to figure out that peroxide removes carbon. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I mixed up a batch yesterday, and may get a chance to get to the range this weekend again with my pistol. Will try using this about every other shot or every third one.

I like the idea of using this as my patch lube, but all of the patches that I use are already pre-lubed, and I'm trying to keep it that way for consistency purposes.

MAP works well as a patch lube as long as you don't wait more than a few minutes between shots. If that's not possible, when hunting for example, try a grease lube. Btw, one of the best grease lubes I've tried is Stumpy's Moose Snot, which is easy to make.

You don't have to "wipe between shots". All you have to do is to shove the batched ball down the barrel with a wet patch on the rod. So you are wiping the barrel "before" a shot and not after. Works. Try it.
I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I can't quite visualise this. What keeps the wet patch on the loading rod when you pull it out?
I'd like to try this.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I can't quite visualise this. What keeps the wet patch on the loading rod when you pull it out?
I'd like to try this.
You put a jag on the end of the rod.
The jag has to be the proper diameter and the patch the right thickness. When constricted into the barrel the fabric will squeeze into the grooves of the jag and lock the patch to it.
a small jag or thin patch and the fabric won't grab the grooves. Too tight and you'll get your ramrod stuck.

You put a jag on the end of the rod.
The jag has to be the proper diameter and the patch the right thickness. When constricted into the barrel the fabric will squeeze into the grooves of the jag and lock the patch to it.
a small jag or thin patch and the fabric won't grab the grooves. Too tight and you'll get your ramrod stuck.
Ah. I see. You push the ball down with the jag. Gotcha.

Thank you Jaeger for asking the question and agree about the acronyms. I maybe a little behind the curve. Heck, I still use a slide rule
As a substitute teacher I often amaze the kids with a slide rule to solve proportions faster than they can punch up their calculators

Wow, I did think people still used a slide rule.
I still have several of mine - including an old wood one I got from my grandfather.
When I went to school, there were no calculators and there was no such thing as a home computer or cell phone.
Somehow we managed to learn math and I got through physics and calculus classes with a pencil, paper and slide rule for the heavy stuff....
If you take the cell phone away from a millennial these days, they can't even comb their hair or brush their own teeth.
We have advanced as a population but de-volved as a species.....

Back