• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nosecap-less

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings. I just had an idea which i now have to sell to my wife. Well, maybe not right now, but...

Can anyone supply me with a detailed photo or several of a rifle muzzle without a nosecap? My wife thinks my new hobby is buying old Jukars and similar and customizing them in some way. A little odd perhaps but a whole lot of fun. And nit nearly as expensive as golf.

The new idea is to cut down the barrel just forward of the front barrel pin and forward of the second ferrule. The stock will then be customized and decorated a la northern plains tribes - a primitive trade rifle.

Oughta’ come in waaay under the price of a new putter!

Thanks in advance,

don

I dont have any pics of my poorboy on my phone.....but if you search Google for "poorboy muzzleloader" I suspect you'll find a few (1,000)😂

Ha, I stand corrected, I did have 1 pic on phone
Screenshot_20200819-175410_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
As do i, thanks to both you guys. I started remembering an old dgw poorboy i owned long ago, and i was reminded that it had no nosecap - the stock had a small not-going-anywhere crack directly below the muzzle. Your photos just made those memories a little sharper.

don

Ha! The one in my picture actually has a DGW TN lock, triggers, and trigger guard. Douglas barrel and nice birdseye maple though....so custom build by somebody with some spare parts back in the day.

Dang if I could still golf I’d almost give up every gun I own. Weil maybe not all of them. There’s nothing like the feeling of hitting a mid iron or wedge within 3feet of a tightly placed pin. But there’s also nothing like the smell or smoke from Black Powder. I can tell you though if you’re lucky enough to hit a golf ball with a PRB it can’t be used to play golf again.

I never have figured out the appeal of golf. But I’m not a player of games. I’m either building something or hunting. Both reflect my frugal nature. Building something rather than pay someone to do it, and hunting for food are the motivators.

My wife thinks my new hobby is buying old Jukars and similar and customizing them in some way. A little odd perhaps but a whole lot of fun. don

They’re many examples of Muzzleloader’s minus the nose cap.

As mentioned above, Poor boy types. Also the Hatfield, Pedersoli Frontier, and Cabela’s Pedersoli Blue Ridge. Dixie‘s Tennessee Mountain Rifle is another.

Many Southern Mountain Rifle’s have no nose cap.

Lastly, I think your idea is a good one my friend. Very satisfying way to pass the time. Your imagination along with a little determination are capable of creating something for all to admire.

Good luck on your new hobby my friend. Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing pics of your finished work.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy, check out a thread entitled “a silk hog’s ear” under The Gunsmith page and see just how much trouble i’ve gotten myself into with this hobby!

And the bext project is already planned, i just need another Jukar flintlock to destroy, er, customize! Preferably in .54 but i’m not sure they come that big. Did i already mention this? Obsessive!

don

To get back to no nose pieces on a gun I have always felt that placing a nose piece on a thin wood stock weakens an area of stock that would best be left at its full dimension.
I like plainer rugged looking guns that can be used well and still look good.
LBL

Attachments

• DDC12885-2F7B-441F-B26D-078D33707ED0.jpeg
    DDC12885-2F7B-441F-B26D-078D33707ED0.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 102
I do not like nose caps, even a little. My first build I did just like Leadball loader, and am only putting one on my next build because it is HC for the persona I need to portray.

Hopefully, that will be the last nose cap I ever do.

I have two Jukar rifles i’m “remodeling” and i’d cut the muzzles back to lose the nosecaps, but i’d have to reset the front sights. Never tackles that before and so far, it’s got me scared far off.

don

To get back to no nose pieces on a gun I have always felt that placing a nose piece on a thin wood stock weakens an area of stock that would best be left at its full dimension.
I like plainer rugged looking guns that can be used well and still look good.
LBL
I saw a SMR recently in photo or you tube but I can not recall where. The builder placed a 1/8 inch thick flat cap pinned on the end. It would give protection to the end without thinning the end so mush to put a cap on.
Back at the entry pipe he did the same thing. A quarter moon piece to prevent any chipping to the fore stock area.
I don’t recall ever seeing an origanal done like that but I thought it a good idea.
The last time I was putting on a cap my wife saw the paper thin wood underneath the cap and was shocked that I was willing to cut off that much wood. I guess she had never noticed one on any of my other guns that I capped

Back