• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lee r.e.a.l. bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I would like to hear the results of firing a r.e.a.l bullet in a 1 in 60 GPR twist barrel . Anyone have any info to share with me. Thanks and Blessings. TDP

No, it's a .50, I could be very wrong about the twist. Memory just ain't what it used to be. It is, however, a slow twist round ball barrel, and very accurate if I do my part. TDP

No experience with the 1-60/50 but a educated guess I would imagine you could get the shorter REAL to shoot ok in yours. The REALs come in two sizes for each caliber. A shorter and a longer one. Are you looking for paper accuracy or hunting? I shot the short one in my 45/ 1-66 twist. It shot good enough for a deer kill but not great, like it was on the edge of stabilizing. Seems like one in 3 would be a flyer but it wouldn't go completely off target. This was long ago before internet though and I have sense learned that it helps to use a over powder wad for accuracy. I no longer have that 45. They shot great in my 50 with a 1-48 twist and that was with the bigger one. My 54 also shot them real well but it has a 1-20 twist.

No experience with the 1-60/50 but a educated guess I would imagine you could get the shorter REAL to shoot ok in yours. The REALs come in two sizes for each caliber. A shorter and a longer one. Are you looking for paper accuracy or hunting? I shot the short one in my 45/ 1-66 twist. It shot good enough for a deer kill but not great, like it was on the edge of stabilizing. Seems like one in 3 would be a flyer but it wouldn't go completely off target. This was long ago before internet though and I have sense learned that it helps to use a over powder wad for accuracy. I no longer have that 45. They shot great in my 50 with a 1-48 twist and that was with the bigger one. My 54 also shot them real well but it has a 1-20 twist.
I was thinking about using them for casual plinking/target shoting. I tried the ballets years ago and they were hit or miss ( pun intended). Was not interested in them very much. Just curious if the short R.E.A.L bullets would be any better. Thanks and Blessings TDP

I was thinking about using them for casual plinking/target shoting. I tried the ballets years ago and they were hit or miss ( pun intended). Was not interested in them very much. Just curious if the short R.E.A.L bullets would be any better. Thanks and Blessings TDP
I would believe that if the pressure is too high, the bullet strips on the fast twist and accuracy isn't very good. The less the pressure, the better the accuracy. Try 2f unless you are already using it. I sorta wonder what 1 1/2 F would do.

First step is measuring the groove diameter of your bore. Second step is measuring the maximum diameter of the REAL bullet. Third is the measuring the twist rate of the barrel.

For the REAL bullet to perform, the REAL should have a larger maximum diameter than the bore diameter. A lesser diameter will lead to gas cutting of the bullet and loss of accuracy. Slow twist will require a shorter bullet to stabilize. Faster twists will perform better with a longer bullet.

If the bullet is smaller in diameter than the groove diameter, then you can try paper patching to match the diameter of the wrapped bullet to the barrel.

The Lee REALs are tapered. The bottom ring is you supposed bore diameter and the top one is .017 over so a 50 cal is .517. It must be the magic number because they all seem to be that way. The middle bands are right inbetween. The shorter ones only have 3 bands and the larger ones have 4.

I shoot the Lee REAL 50's that have the shorter bullet ( 250 ) grain. They shoot great out of a 1/48 Lyman Deerstalker, a 1/66 Getz barrel, and a 1/66 Rice barrel.

The Lee REAL bullet works great in my T/C Hawkens 1:48 a 50 with the 250 grain and a 54 T/C Hawken1:48 with the 380 Grain Lee REAL bullet. I cast my own, just make sure the molds are hot so you get good solid bullets and the proper diameter.

I only tried them in a .40 with 1 in 48 rifling, they shot poorly.

Eric did you use an over powder wad? I tried them in a 54 and 58 with poor accuracy, and examining the bullet's found gas cutting on the sides.

I now use a polymer over powder wad in my 40 cal REAL and accuracy definitely improved.

That's my advice to anyone shooting the REAL bullet, use an OP wad.

My 45-50-54 cal all shoot The REAL as long as I use a felt wad ,and a trick learned from Idaho Lewis is go a cal larger like punch a 54 for your 50 cal .He shoots them rather (WELL) on you tube so see for your self/Ed

Back