• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Whoops!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had this barrel marked and had the perfect spot center punched. Well my drill press isn't the best, and I think the runout took hold threw it off center. Needless to say I am ******, I think there is a way to fix this. Thoughts on what you would do?

Attachments

• IMG_9908.JPG
    IMG_9908.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 303
From looking at the picture, It's not perfect but I don't think you have a problem. I've drilled a bunch of touch holes and I still get nervous when I do one. I always use a brand new drill bits and I step drill it starting with a 1/8 bit, a lot less likely to walk on you..

Last edited:
There is room to grind out the forward edge and bottom of the pan. That should do it.

Id go with this recommendation.

I don't step drill mine. I use the diameter bit required and run the drill press on a fairly slow rpm. Barrel is clamped in a drill vice to prevent any movement. Take only take short bites and oil frequently to get things going. Once the bit is down some then light pressure and more oiling. Many presses have placards to use certain speed for certain thicknesses of metal or drill bit sizes. Soft steel like a barrel can be drilled slowly. Just make a good center punch and use cutting oil frequently.

I had this barrel marked and had the perfect spot center punched. Well my drill press isn't the best, and I think the runout took hold threw it off center. Needless to say I am ******, I think there is a way to fix this. Thoughts on what you would do?
You could thread it, red Locktight a screw in it, grind the head off and re-drill. Start with a center drill of appropriate size. You could also, leave it, try it, you might like it.

file the pan down where it meets the vent. and all will be right with the world. it is not life threatening and you are not the first one do do it! just move on and don't tell every one about it and no one will never know about it. it will be your little secret. LOL.

The barrel is already under lugged, so moving it back would be a real pain. I will let my gun expert take a look. He has a full machine shop, and can probably mill the hole perfect for the liner. I will let you folks know how this turns out. This is my first build, and I must say it's pretty exciting to work on it. This gun came with the lock plate already inletted, but that lock went missing. So I went to L&R lock to see what they had.

Attachments

• IMG_8613.JPG
    IMG_8613.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8614.JPG
    IMG_8614.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8615.JPG
    IMG_8615.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8616.JPG
    IMG_8616.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 158
Next time consider using a heavier punch and a centre drill.
Don't use a vice to hold the barrel when centre drilling. the barrel may wobble a bit but as long as the centre is in your punch mark it will drill true.
Then drill through with say a 1/8" pilot. Then you tapping drill.
Takes longer but minimises the chance of error and gives 2 chances to correct.

Latest posts

Back