• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge won't stay in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lest we forget, wedge (key) fit was important enough on originals for it to be numbered to its revolver.

Ah, but the Remington must be cleaned from the muzzle!;)
Remove cylinder and pull patches with a loop jag.

Deland if it's BS then why suggest a fix?
If it's BS why it fixing it noted in every tuning the Colt recommendations?
Self contradiction creates irrelevance.
For those that insist it needs fixed for the gun to be accurate . It doesn't but if it makes you feel better this is an easy remedy.
The wedge should fit both barrel slots squarely on either side of the arbor slot. Actually the arbor slot should be higher in the mid slot and this is where the wedge should contact not at the corner on one side or the other of the slot.
The wedge angle is on the muzzle side of the arbor slot and the square, opposite side of the wedge should mate into both barrel slots on either side of the arbor in the opposite direction.
This fit up makes a center pull on the arbor and equal pull on both barrel slots either side of the arbor. The lug, lug pins and wedge thickness fit address barrel torque and bend down of the arbor when the ball hits the forcing cone and then spools up in the rifling.
The open frame guns actually seem to use a lot of bridge technology and the solid frame guns tend toward bank vault thinking!
Drilling and tapping the end of the arbor slot and fitting a screw to make it bottom out in the well actually weakens the end of the arbor slot and some of them are plenty thin already in my experience.

Lest we forget, wedge (key) fit was important enough on originals for it to be numbered to its revolver.

Ah, but the Remington must be cleaned from the muzzle!;)
well they are not match guns lol. hot water and soap remove all the fouling .I use a mop a couple of times in the barrel and that is it

I ordered a new wedge from Taylor's - same fit, could almost drop it through the slot. Ordered a multi-caliber loading stand from Dixie and had them send a wedge as well. The Dixie one (where the gun originally was bought) fits perfectly. Problem appears to be solved.

I ordered a new wedge from Taylor's - same fit, could almost drop it through the slot. Ordered a multi-caliber loading stand from Dixie and had them send a wedge as well. The Dixie one (where the gun originally was bought) fits perfectly. Problem appears to be solved.
Good, I hope you have solved your problem but a wedge is not difficult to make with hand tools. It does need to be fit and hardened correctly and then polished. Often times wedges are not hard enough and will deform if this is the case. The other thing about a wedge that is often over looked is the thickness which is just as important as the proper width and taper. The wedge thickness helps the lug pins resist barrel torsion from bullet twist inertia.

Last edited:
Good, I hope you have solved your problem but a wedge is not difficult to make with hand tools. It does need to be fit and hardened correctly and then polished. Often times wedges are not hard enough and will deform if this is the case. The other thing about a wedge that is often over looked is the thickness which is just as important as the proper width and taper. The wedge thickness helps the lug pins resist barrel torsion from bullet twist inertia.
The best method if have found to shorten the cylinder gap in a couple of open frame guns was to remove the barrel group, make two brass lathe centers to insert in both ends of the barrel and lathe turn the lug face between centers after removing the lug pins if they come loose in the barrel group. Take light cuts so as not to bend the lug any and remove the predetermined amount of steel to close the gap. The pins will usually need shortened a bit as well. This method insures squareness with the bore and a flat surface to mate with the frame. Now the slots in both the barrel group and arbor will probably need bit if tuning as well. Keep the barrel slots level with each other and make the arbor slot high center in the middle for the wedge contact. A bit of a flat in the high center of the arbor slot for wedge contact. This is done with spotting black or I often use a "Sharpy" for such fitting work.

Latest posts

Back