• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Last shooting. Group of 5 @ 50 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
Lyman GPR .50 cal percussion. 60 grains of 3f Goex, .018 wet patch, .498 ball.
15968307391524508437032610424245.jpg

Excellent shooting my friend. Those GPR’s can definitely hold their own in the right hands!

What’s your range? Shooting benched or off hand?

Respectfully, Cowboy
That was 50 yards rested friend.

Not bad for a 10 yard target.... Now - what was the REAL distance? (LOL)
Nice frock in your Avatar - time to get a fur hat though...... The ball cap has got to go...!!!!
lol, yea the ball cap has to go. I cannot make up my mind on which hat, and best place to order it. I am leaning towards a brown tricorn from Townsends. That target is 50 yards and rested.

lol, yea the ball cap has to go. I cannot make up my mind on which hat, and best place to order it. I am leaning towards a brown tricorn from Townsends. That target is 50 yards and rested.
Yup, Townsends has some kool looking stuff. I bought a gun tool kit from them and a couple of sacks of TOW for the Hakenbusche.

With groups like that it should convert deer into venison with one shot. Well done.

Excellent shooting!
I'm learning from the older guys at my club. You guys are irreplaceable in this sport and a number of other things. I learned how to pasture raise hogs, hunt n fish from my dad and I started learning to build, from another older fellow starting at 16, and continued to work and learn from him to when I was 34, building and finishing homes. I loved building homes, and miss working so much. I became a very good and time efficient framer and interior trim carpenter and was offered numerous other jobs, but I stuck with the old man. I always had full weekly paychecks, insured, and he always kept me in a vehicle. He paid me very well and gave bonuses when I deserved them.

Last edited:
Ha ha.
I think Newtire might be referring to his own aging.
Hey! I resemble that remark! Interesting thing happened about the time I turned 50. My hangun groups started stringing horizontally. At the eye doctor's getting fitted for some new glasses, I discovered that my master eye had switched places. The doctor told me that wasn't possible but on doing a little research I found out that it was possible and happens to some folks at age 50-ish. After lasik surgery, that went away and now all I have to blame is my gun...

I'm gonna have to go burn some powder with my Hawken. I shot it a bunch a few years ago when I got it, found a great load for it, actually killed a nice deer with it last year! But since getting a flintlock and getting lost in a quest for accuracy and shooting the manure out of it for 5he past year and a half, the Hawken kinda got forgotten. I'm at shooting sub-1.75" groups af 5 at 50 yds with the flintlock from a bench; ill be truly happy when I can do that offhand.

But, I'd like to see what group size I could shoot at 50yds with the Hawken rested. Tweak some things, try to tighten it up. I do think shooting flintlocks for accuracy IS more difficult than percussion guns. Not drastically, but harder.

.498 RB with .018" patch, that's a tight combo I'll bet.
Its tight but I get it down without beating it and with the ramrod on the gun. I replaced the wooden for a plastic of course. And I can shoot all day long without any need to wipe between shots.

Back