• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sgian Dubh patch knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had this sgian dubh blade for years but have not had much of a chance to wear my kilts. Now that I have - ahem - outgrown them, I thought I'd get more use from making the blade into a patch knife. I found a nice piece of curly walnut in my scrap bin and fit the cut off end of a short starter into the butt for a pommel. The sheath is my first attempt at leather working, so it's pretty rough. But it kinda fits the aesthetic of my shooting bag, so I'm good with it. It's basically lashed onto the bag strap, so I can remove it easily if I want. I'll probably wrap the sheath in darker leather cord as a sort of primitive para-cord.

20200811_185323.jpg

20200811_185301.jpg

20200811_185427.jpg

I like that. The ball starter is a good idea, but could it cause an issue being the blade will be exposed when using it to start a ball?

Possibly. It's a good question and something I thought about. I've used the butt end of a different knife to start the ball for years without incident. So, either it's not really a problem or it's only a matter of time. I'll most likely be coning the muzzle on at least one rifle soon, so if that goes well then it'll cut down on the pressure needed - whether using my thumb or the knife handle. Reduced pressure would reduce the chances of slipping.

Really nice piece of work, knife and sheath both! My patch knife was a broken straight razor in antler with epoxy.

Beautiful wood ! I’ll have to look at my scrap more closely. The wood compliments the blade nicely. :cool:

Good Job! Thinking outside the box. I myself would keep the dubh as a secreted blade, last ditch weapon, but as a patch knife it will be useful as well as available. The Damascus type blades seem to me to cut flesh better than other materials; you maybe on to something though, let us know how it works! Your Health, Geo.

Back