• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Paper cartridge consumed ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I predominantly shoot rifles so I have little experience using pre-rolled paper cartridges in smooth bore muskets so I watched a few videos. It occurred to me that a lot is happening to that substantial wad of rammed paper surrounding the ball on all sides. In a split second it is super heated and pressurized by the explosive powder charge, then accelerated to near super sonic speed all while being battered by a tumbling lead ball. So what actually is left of all that paper and string as it exits the bore and how far does it travel while getting out of the way?

Mine are torn and I see bits of paper but a nearly whole crumpled piece, less then ten yards from the muzzle.
There is a lot of heat but a fraction of a second in the fire. Just as you can pass your hand over a flame or a black Smith can touch pretty hot metal there isn’t enough time to transfer much heat.
Even a patched round ball only has some scorching to the bottom, browned but not burnt.

When I shoot shot with a grocery bag wrap it survives. Your results may vary.

Attachments

• FB8DEB98-AB7C-4E99-A32E-8A6F8F5FF1B9.jpeg
    FB8DEB98-AB7C-4E99-A32E-8A6F8F5FF1B9.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 68
Back