• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I want to build an underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where the spring picture came from but it is not typical of trigger guard/mainsprings. They typically are bent to shape and have a " notch" to engage the trigger. I will post a pic in a while.
This main spring is not from an underhammer type , where the trigger guard is also acting as main spring like the Billinghurst etc. , but from an original , vintage Ruggles patent gun .

Muzzleloaders Builders Supply produces a very nice Billinghurst type parts kit. Need to D &T holes, fit parts, temper the spring, figure out how to attach the tube, locate nipple etc. but the parts are very good quality. Have to do your own wood too. This style of underhammer was exclusively a target gun back in the day so there is no provision for a half cock notch or other safety. You need to create one if you plan to hunt with it or find an extremely patient deer..

Muzzleloaders Builders Supply produces a very nice Billinghurst type parts kit. Need to D &T holes, fit parts, temper the spring, figure out how to attach the tube, locate nipple etc. but the parts are very good quality. Have to do your own wood too. This style of underhammer was exclusively a target gun back in the day so there is no provision for a half cock notch or other safety. You need to create one if you plan to hunt with it or find an extremely patient deer..
The Billinghurst action described, was designed for 1.25-1.5" barrels, so take that into consideration. I'm working on one now, that will wear a 1" acf at the breech barrel. I've cut and lowered the top/tang to match closer to the barrel's top flat... currently working to machine and dress the top obliques and sides to a bit closer fit and to remove all of the 'chunky' from the actions heft..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Good source. I'll keep it for the future. I plan to do this first one with what I got.

I found the piece of steel I plan to make this from. Should I forge the trigger and hammer from the same steel? Rough sketch to see if I have enough material before it hits the mill.
BP pistol steel.jpg

Latest posts

Back