• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Didn't Think I Would Measure My Group with a Quarter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been shooting my little SMR rifle in 36 caliber. 0.350" ball, 0.018" thick patch, 4 parts water and 1 part water soluble oil (from the time when the NAPA oil worked good). Been feeling pretty comfortable shooting it and since my cataract wracked lenses have been replaced the groups have been getting smaller. Helps to be able to see the front sight, rear sight and the target.

Target 01.jpg

Yes I pulled one shot off. Hangfire. I've got to make some excuse.

Yes, there's four holes under the quarter.
Target 02.jpg

I have a very good telephoto lens on my point and shoot camera. I have photos taken after every shot.

My rifle is a 36 caliber from an estate sale. I have no way of knowing who the maker of the rifle is. I haven't pulled the barrel to look for any markings. Originally it was a percussion rifle with an L&R Manton lock with a steel slug in the flint jaws to strike the nipple. I decided that I should make it a flint lock again, so I ordered a lock from L&R that dropped right in. Made the touch hole liner and started shooting it.

Flint Lock 03.JPG

Found a picture of the old lock. Can't find a picture of the rifle. I'll have to keep looking.

I had cataracts clouding the lenses in my eyes. When I put a rifle to my shoulder and sighted more often than not, the sights would disappear. Peep sights helped a bit and so did diopters. A smooth bore with only a front sight worked since I could keep both eyes open. With the replacement lenses I can see the sights and the target.

That's why I placed my scale of reference next to the target.

Dutch (@Dr5x ) would let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not following his black powder accuracy system since my third shot was a nine.

I've been shooting my little SMR rifle in 36 caliber. 0.350" ball, 0.018" thick patch, 4 parts water and 1 part water soluble oil (from the time when the NAPA oil worked good). Been feeling pretty comfortable shooting it and since my cataract wracked lenses have been replaced the groups have been getting smaller. Helps to be able to see the front sight, rear sight and the target.

View attachment 38858
Very good shooting! :thumb:
Nice to see again, I know, cuz, I was wearing trifocals until cataract surgery. Too bad the shots are not dead center (LOL) 😂
Flintlocklar🇺🇲

View attachment 38857

View attachment 38858

I have a very good telephoto lens on my point and shoot camera. I have photos taken after every shot.

My rifle is a 36 caliber from an estate sale. I have no way of knowing who the maker of the rifle is. I haven't pulled the barrel to look for any markings. Originally it was a percussion rifle with an L&R Manton lock with a steel slug in the flint jaws to strike the nipple. I decided that I should make it a flint lock again, so I ordered a lock from L&R that dropped right in. Made the touch hole liner and started shooting it.

View attachment 38859
Found a picture of the old lock. Can't find a picture of the rifle. I'll have to keep looking.
very nice grouping, and glad you got your eyes took care of.

Awesome!! I had PanOptix lenses put in my eyes last month due to cataracts. It is a blessing for sure!! I asked my doctor if I would be able to see my open sights again, he said absolutely so I told him its a go. My groups still can't be covered with a quarter but Im working on it and I couldn't be any happier with my eyesight right now!!

Back