• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steering shot!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You all know I have this thing for steering shot, well I have a little story, but it's about an unmentional sxs with screw in chokes!!
Now I'm not going to discuss the gun except when I got the gun I soon swapped out the chokes for my own selection and proceeded to miss exceedingly well with it!
I only recently realized it was shooting low! For some reason after weeks of struggling I took a look at the muzzles and immediately noticed that the choke tubes were not square to the barrels muzzle. The choke tube muzzle itself was not square to the tubes bore just visible by comparing to the barrels muzzle. In fact how they were would support throwing the patterns low!
So I selected some chokes that followed the muzzles of the barrels more squarely and even all around.
Throwing the gun up as if on a bird now puts the patterns where it should be. One thing that is also of interest is that one choke tube would throw the pattern right.
In the future I will likely have to adjust some of these tubes but I just wanted to tell of this to emphasise something....the amount required to steer a shot column via removing material from the muzzle is minute. And unbelievably simple.

B.

Can you give us a good guess about how out of square were these choke tubes? I mean, in inches, like, "The face of the choke tube was about 1/16 inches out of square.", or 1/8" or 1/4" or whatever.

Also, did you shoot any targets to get an idea of how far off of the point of aim the center of the pattern was hitting?

Ideally, it would be good to have both bits of information. Something like:

"The left choke tube face was about 1/16" out of square and it sent the pattern 12 inches low at 25 yards." , with you filling out the actual numbers.

Please give details.
I was at the trap club yesterday and one of the older members is struggling with a gun that shoots low.
This sounds like an alternative to a new gun.
Should also work to help regulate a double rifle.
I have a CVA Kodiak that may be in need

Can you give us a good guess about how out of square were these choke tubes? I mean, in inches, like, "The face of the choke tube was about 1/16 inches out of square.", or 1/8" or 1/4" or whatever.

Also, did you shoot any targets to get an idea of how far off of the point of aim the center of the pattern was hitting?

Ideally, it would be good to have both bits of information. Something like:

"The left choke tube face was about 1/16" out of square and it sent the pattern 12 inches low at 25 yards." , with you filling out the actual numbers.
I did shoot it at a target to determine what is wrong as in shooting low. When I say low about a foot low at thirty yard's.
Yesterday the right barrel is now just perfect with a simulated bird mounting of the gun, hold the mount and shoot at a target ( an old piece of tin back of the farm).
The left barrel in the same test period with a tight imp/ mod choke shoots right by about 8"-10".
It's not just the square off finish their machined beveling or crowning is off too.
Their is some variation in lengths of the tubes measured at four points. The worst is about a .0005" difference in length.
It's a tiny amount and hence why many don't consider it important or feasible that it can have such an influence.
The whole point I was trying to emphasise was that it is only a tiny amount that can have a huge effect in adjusting the point of impact.

Back