• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More nonsense. Clean your gun after use. Plain and simple. Show me definitive proof without cleaning that pyrodex does more harm. We all will wait. Show us...really....
Guessing you will not believe me, so look up potassium perchlorate, a primary ingredient of Pyrodox not included in black powder. Personal experience and independent data shows it will even destroy stainless steel, not to mention the low carbon steel used in muzzleloading barrels.

More nonsense. Clean your gun after use. Plain and simple. Show me definitive proof without cleaning that pyrodex does more harm. We all will wait. Show us...really....

You misunderstand what I was trying to say. Most that "seasoned" didn't clean or didn't clean well.

Guessing you will not believe me, so look up potassium perchlorate, a primary ingredient of Pyrodox not included in black powder. Personal experience and independent data shows it will even destroy stainless steel, not to mention the low carbon steel used in muzzleloading barrels.

Correct, Chlorates will pit and rust steel, especially stainless steel.

I have shot a lot of Pyrodex in a caplock but ended up going to a musket nipple for better ignition. It seemed to work fine at the range but not in the field if the least bit moist. I finally learned to wrap my caplock action in plastic wrap, taping it below the triggerguard and above action, for it to be reliable.

Probably, best to stick with black powder.

OP....glad you were able to pull the load out.

Shooting it, you may have to adjust your powder charges compared to real black. I noticed doing comparison, my accuracy changed when trying it. From a bench with equivalent powder charges, the ones with pyro shot high.

If it's all you can get, then fire away. I will always try to get real black for sure

SD, not that I dont believe you Im sure that both B/P and Pyrodex have inherent corrosive quality's once burned .
The main lesson is no matter what one uses just clean the darn thing thoroughly after use.

SD, not that I dont believe you Im sure that both B/P and Pyrodex have inherent corrosive quality's once burned .
The main lesson is no matter what one uses just clean the darn thing thoroughly after use.
Here is a photograph of a stainless breech plug from a gun we don’t talk about here that I pulled for a guy. Bore looked ok, with typical Pyrodox frosting. But the little Pyrodox residue that got past the face seal was eating away the stainless breech plug and barrel. Threads were covered with Never Seize and appeared ok. Blackpowder residue does not corrode like this.
1596820855264.jpeg

Its ok because it is a substitute for BP. We are not so anal that we don't realize the real stuff is difficult to near impossible for some folks to get. It may not seem that way to people that have good sources but it sometimes is the case for others.
Precisely.
There are several things we allow discussions of on the forum that are more modern than 1865, but we do this because we want to help people enjoy the fun of shooting old time muzzleloading firearms.

Precisely.
There are several things we allow discussions of on the forum that are more modern than 1865, but we do this because we want to help people enjoy the fun of shooting old time muzzleloading firearms.

The basic formula for Pyrodex was invented around the 1840's Making it period correct.

Here is a photograph of a stainless breech plug from a gun we don’t talk about here that I pulled for a guy. Bore looked ok, with typical Pyrodox frosting. But the little Pyrodox residue that got past the face seal was eating away the stainless breech plug and barrel. Threads were covered with Never Seize and appeared ok. Blackpowder residue does not corrode like this. View attachment 39111
When you change your oil its important to change the filter also

Back