• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

homemade peep site

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone ever try to make a peep site by drilling a hole in a piece of electrical tape and putting on a eyeglasses?

I used a 1/16 drill bit by electrical taping a strip to a piece of milk carton. Made a dozen in less than 5 minutes.

Has anyone tried these for hunting?

strongarm

What you're doing is increasing your eye's depth of field, just like in a camera, by reducing the effective iris (a larger "f" stop). The down-side is that it increases the amount of light you need.

Great for target shooting on a sunny outdoor range, but not so hot in the woods. Especially after the headache you'll get from having one eye blocked .

You need an eye-patch you can flop down with the pinhole centered over tour eye. Arrr.

There used to be a product on the market - I think Brownells sold it - where you could fasten a little swing arm on your glasses that held a peep. When you got ready to shoot, you swung it down into position - the rest of the time, it was out of the way. Anyone else familiar with this?

The Merit disc is what most target shooters use. It works great in good light. I would not use it when hunting because it does block light and I am would probably loose it.

Joel Lehman,

Austin, TX

Anvil,,, Lyman sells a, 'Shooter's Eyeglass Diopter', for $19.95... I don't know what shipping is??? They are at; www.lymanproducts.com,,, listed under 'Sights'... I believe this is the same thing your talking about?

Merit Corporation has an ad in the MuzzleBlasts Magazine.
They give the following web address"
http://meritcorporation.com

Back in the '80's someone sold little round stick on's for your shooting glasses. As I recall, they didn't cost much which probably explains why I haven't seen them for years.

As for drilling a little hole, it usually leaves a rough non circular hole. At least it did when I tried to make these. I saw a post saying that Tandys has a little leather punch which punches perfectly round 1/16 dia holes in electrical tape.
I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it works.

As a competitive pistol shooter I have a couple of pairs of shooting glasses, both of which are fitted with adjustable irises. The earlier comment about a tighter iris opening extending your field of view is indeed correct. The comments about needing more light are only partially correct in that one needs a good amount of light shining on the sights in order for them to be clearly visible. I would suggest a much more important point for consideration in a hunting situation is the rather drastic reduction in field of view which occurs when using an iris. This is noticeable when I shoot Olympic Free Pistol at 50 metres, even though I don't often close my iris tighter than about 3/16". Irises of this nature are available for several specific brands of glasses (Champion, Knobloch, Varga) but I would recommend for muzzleloading shooting that you check out the Gehmann website. They sell both a clip-on iris and a stick-on iris. Their quality is world-leading.

http://www.gehmann.com/english_final/shootingframes.php

love your post...i manure in my pants and then play dead. I not only look dead but also smell dead.

two hunter talking about being chased by a bear. one says I was slipping and sliding all the way down the hill. the other say was i'd manure if a bear chased me. and the first one comes back and say why do you think I was slipping and sliding?

strongarm

Back