• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Downrigger lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, you need to remove the plastic & see if is lead or simply cheaper cast iron. If you want to still be able to use it as a downrigger if it is not lead, try a magnet. If lead, how soft? Roundball in a smoothbore can be hard lead, in a revolver, it needs to be soft lead so as to shear easily. Most prefer softer lead in rifles. If lead, can you scratch it with your thumbnail?

Yes, probably. Most of those were at one time soft lead but with lead being what it is these days, it can be almost anything. Try and scratch it with your finger nail. If it scratches easy, use it. Might not want to on revolvers unless you are sure it is very soft. When you melt it down, if the lead changes colors on top, like gold, purple or whatever, that is a sign of pure lead.

Thanks for the replies. I cut off the coating and it certainly is lead. I purchased this about 35 yrs ago so I think it may be pure lead. Easily scratches with my thumbnail. Will try casting tomorrow, only plan to use it with PRBs.

I purchased some diving weights a few years back. (the only lead I have ever paid for) I picked them up because they were cheap. Anyway I have heard they were at one time pure but some divers or places actually had a mould for them and would use whatever they could find. Yours being it was coated with plastic has a better chance of being pure, I believe.

I would heat it up slowly in case there's been any moisture trapped inside and give it a chance to evaporate before throwing it in the melting pot. I have a few downrigger balls but I still use them on the boat.

I should have mentioned I put a diving weight in my pot. It was not wet or damp. It started bubbling and I moved back. It exploded lead all over the wall. Now I sit them on top the pot as it warms the pot, before I put it in.

I've cast close to 600 pounds of diving weights in my day, (I teach scuba so need to be able to equip up to a dozen students at a time) and I have to tell you that I will use anything that will melt in the pot for them. Usually it's been wheel weights, because I really don't care how hard or soft they are. Only that they will fit on the belts.

I might suggest that if it appears to lead you may want to dip a little murratic acid on it. If it bubbles its not lead but zinc. Not something you want in your lead mix.

Back