• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2020 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raspberries became ready. We picked 9 pound but rain and T-storms came in. We lost at least 40% of the crop. Rained again today but not hard enough to hurt. Hope to pick tomorrow. We usually get 80-100 pounds a year. They weather this year may not let us get 1/2.

I harvested garlic and onions They did really well this year. I also got one batch of pickles done. soon it will be tater time. Already dug one hill to see how they were doing, I think it's going to be a good tater year too.

Here, a tassel on var. Mandan Red corn that I'm growing for parching. The little Golden Guide "Insects" informs that there are over 3,300 species of bees in North America. Don't know who this guy is, but his pollen sacs are about full; the light specks below him to the left of the tassel are pollen grains he's dislodged. Life is good.

008.JPG

I tossed many a tomato because a bite or two was taken out of them. Usually a bird pecking at them. I've heard that the varmints really aren't hungry for tomatos , they're just thirsty. So leave a pan of water for them? Jury is still out on that one.

There is a trail leading from the treeline to the tomatoes in the grass, and the weeds around the plant that had the nicest tomatoes is beaten down. I suspect a coon or possum.

Beets, kohlrabi, garlic, tomatoes, kale, cucumbers, squash, pole beans, peppers, onions and such. Not counting fruit trees, berries and asparagus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 126
"Huitlacoche." Prized by the Aztec and popular in Mexican cuisine, we just call it corn smut; shown here on var. Hopi Pink corn.
002.JPG
A fungi, the young galls pop off the ear easily and are good sauteed in butter with onion and served in a fresh flour tortilla. Kind of a bland mushroom/corn flavor so lots of hot pepper sauce is appropriate, particularly with breakfast. Onion is var. Bridger, from seed.
010.JPG

"Huitlacoche." Prized by the Aztec and popular in Mexican cuisine, we just call it corn smut; shown here on var. Hopi Pink corn.
View attachment 38121
A fungi, the young galls pop off the ear easily and are good sauteed in butter with onion and served in a fresh flour tortilla. Kind of a bland mushroom/corn flavor so lots of hot pepper sauce is appropriate, particularly with breakfast. Onion is var. Bridger, from seed.
View attachment 38124
I get it also on my Seneca white corn. Haven't tried eating it yet.

My garden looks "odd: right now, I got white trash bags over my small tomato plants for midday shade. I've never had too much luck with fall gardens due to the heat. For anything to be ready in the fall , it needs to be in the ground already. It's just too hot down here in South Texas. We'll see. Oh, and I'm using a homemade weedkiller (vinegar, salt +liquid soap) on my bermuda grass problem. It takes care of the green grass but is it killing it down to the root? I'm "experimenting".

Oh, and I'm using a homemade weedkiller (vinegar, salt +liquid soap) on my bermuda grass problem. It takes care of the green grass but is it killing it down to the root? I'm "experimenting".

I tried that once on a gravel driveway, the grass grew back in a couple weeks.
Garden weeds are atrocious this year.

My garden looks "odd: right now, I got white trash bags over my small tomato plants for midday shade. I've never had too much luck with fall gardens due to the heat. For anything to be ready in the fall , it needs to be in the ground already. It's just too hot down here in South Texas. We'll see. Oh, and I'm using a homemade weedkiller (vinegar, salt +liquid soap) on my bermuda grass problem. It takes care of the green grass but is it killing it down to the root? I'm "experimenting".
It won't do a thing to the Bermuda grass roots.
The only things I've found that actually kills Bermuda grass roots is one of the modern systemic weed killers that soaks into the growing grass and is carried down to the roots by the plant.

As for the getting rid of Bermuda grass without using these modern things, the only way to do it is to dig the roots out. They go deep too and if even a 1/2" long piece of root is left behind, it will grow and send up new grass and you'll be back to ground zero.

The only thing good I can say about Bermuda grass is, it can go for months without water and after a good rain or soaking with a hose, it will come back in force.

We haven't had any rain for over 3 months and to help out with the drought, I didn't water my side yard at my house. Then, I decided I was tired of seeing a area covered with long dead Bermuda grass stubble so I watered it with a sprinkler. A week later, the whole area is now covered with green grass.

Last year I had a big problem with my free roaming chickens. Seems like they developed a taste for my tomatoes. When I picked them, the lower fruit all had little holes punctured thru the skin. My neighbor recommended that I find some old red plastic Christmas bulbs and hang them on the tomato vines. It was funny to watch. Those guys would peck at the plastic bulbs, and after two days it stopped. Not another problem with the chickens after that.

Cobra 6

Stuff is supposed to be good for you. My grandmother used to use it it salads.
I've read its high in several nutrients but it doesn't seem to have much flavor IMO. Guess its good to know as a survival food. For instance they say cattail roots have more starch per pound than potatoes. Harvesting the roots is a lot more work though.

I've read its high in several nutrients but it doesn't seem to have much flavor IMO. Guess its good to know as a survival food. For instance they say cattail roots have more starch per pound than potatoes. Harvesting the roots is a lot more work though.
Wasn’t exactly my favorite salad ingredient, but remember it not being bad. More than a survival food, but guess that is up to personal preference.

It won't do a thing to the Bermuda grass roots.
The only things I've found that actually kills Bermuda grass roots is one of the modern systemic weed killers that soaks into the growing grass and is carried down to the roots by the plant.

As for the getting rid of Bermuda grass without using these modern things, the only way to do it is to dig the roots out. They go deep too and if even a 1/2" long piece of root is left behind, it will grow and send up new grass and you'll be back to ground zero.

The only thing good I can say about Bermuda grass is, it can go for months without water and after a good rain or soaking with a hose, it will come back in force.

We haven't had any rain for over 3 months and to help out with the drought, I didn't water my side yard at my house. Then, I decided I was tired of seeing a area covered with long dead Bermuda grass stubble so I watered it with a sprinkler. A week later, the whole area is now covered with green grass.
Well it least the vinegar may slow things down while I play catch up up with a hoe and some back muscles.

My weed problem this year is purslane. Its been popping up all over. The roots go deep and I can't get rid of it.

View attachment 38854

I have the same problem with purslane to an extent, especially in raised beds I keep watered well where i grow corrots, lettuce and herbs, but a much bigger problem with "Lambs Quarters" or Goosefoot as they call it in the rest of the general garden. I guess it is supposed to be related to spinach and nutritious as well. If so I pull enough to feed a small army every year.:)

Latest posts

Back