• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of pics of my newly build lock for my next project
Please excuse the non correct screws it impossible to find flat head screws in any Loews. The lock plate will be cut down and shaped once I have the barrel inletted and stock roughed out
IMG_20200207_172258.jpg IMG_20200207_172432.jpg

I cut it out of a piece of 3/8 bar stock split the front with a dremal tool then drilled and taped for the screw
Made the whole thing with an angle grinder and drill press lol

If could figure out how to make a flat spring it would have a more traditional one on it
Another project

That's a great idea
Have another one that I'm working on
I'm going to try it

Re spring it should be tight in a mortis through the plate & bear on the underside front of pivot . Old lawn mover blades lend them selves to the shape just by sawing & grinding and no need to harden & temper .
Rudyard

a flat spring from a wire whippy leaf rake! WOW! I would have never thought of using a tine for a flat spring? thanks for the comment.

I've one lock I put a scear spring in its still going strong 45 years later .Stainless is a bit hard to document ! .
Regards Rudyard

I am also on the same journey as yourself, just had a mate machine up some hollow bar (carbon steel) for the barrel, still have to shrink a ring around the muzzle, shorten up the breech end, breech plug and file the flats on the breech section. I have also a lovely lock supplied to me by Rudyard. I am using patterns he sent me kindly for this gun.
P1030520.jpeg
P1030521.jpeg

Gentlemen, have spent the last few days hogging out the barrel channel with a couple of gouges, chisels and scrapers. Did an initial router job to get the barrel channel going, will do the same with the ramrod channel. Barrel just about right, might need to modify a half round wood rasp to put the final finish on the channel. Having a bunch of fun doing this. Still have to make and fit the pan and cover, and finish the tang on the breech plug, which I made out of a grade 8 bolt.
P1030540.jpeg
P1030544.jpeg

Before you finish the inlet to full depth consider using lamp black on the barrel to show high spots.
It can hep getting a close fit.
also before you modify a rasp try a large dowel with coarse sandpaper or a scraper. For what it is worth I laid a rasp in the channel as well as using a dowel and a large sharp chisel as a scraper after spotting the barrel channel with the barrel covered in lamp black.

Last edited:
H

P1030558.jpeg
H
Here is the pan and cover plus a couple of triggers I forged up today. The pan cover is just some scrap light steel which I think will also make a nice trigger guard. One of the triggers is forged out of quite thin material, the other out of the same plate at the but plate. I may well have to make another trigger once I have morticed in the lock, as I won’t be sure of the geometry till I try fitting it up. I may need a lot more reach than these triggers might give me. Looks like they are quite easy to make. I forged the pan out of an old railway spike. Used it as a handle when I drilled out the pan, and drilled and tapped the pan pivot.

Latest posts

Back