• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slot in middle of hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a revolver it’s to place on the pin between the chambers as a safety. Not as safe as the hammer down on empty chamber.

On Colt open top models from 1847 through 1862 they were a sort of "safety" that locked into a pin between chambers to allow carry of a fully loaded revolver.
Today their main function is to help suck spent caps off of the cone and deposit them in the hammer channel locking up the gun and requiring the shooter to refer to the firearm in terms of the Deity and water retention structures if you know what I mean so as to keep things family friendly.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

On my open top revolvers, the slot at the top of the hammer sure looks like a rear sight to me.

what's the matter EC121 did I stump you with that one?
and the only safe way is hammer down on an empty chamber PERIOD
Bunk

OK sorry I should have made a more precise post. The slot in the FACE of the hammer is what I am referring to. The slot in the TOP of the hammer is actually the rear sight.
My guns have that sight slot squared up to give a better sight picture. The slit in the hammer face is cleaned of burrs and is backed with a cap rake.
IMHO Colt open top revolvers are not really precision target guns the sighting system is too crude. Most of the percussion guns in my armory have replacement real dovetailed square front sights. Not NMLRA kosher, but more accurate.
WB

OK sorry I should have made a more precise post. The slot in the FACE of the hammer is what I am referring to. The slot in the TOP of the hammer is actually the rear sight.
My guns have that sight slot squared up to give a better sight picture. The slit in the hammer face is cleaned of burrs and is backed with a cap rake.
IMHO Colt open top revolvers are not really precision target guns the sighting system is too crude. Most of the percussion guns in my armory have replacement real dovetailed square front sights. Not NMLRA kosher, but more accurate.
WB
There were never meant to be target guns. Just point it at the guy's belt buckle and pull the trigger, should work every time.

I get a kick out of posters like Thunder14. Start a thread, ask questions, questions answered, and no peep from the OP.

Evidently not very interested.

Sigh.

Regards,

Jim

Some Pepper boxes & Transisianal revolvers had a slot in the base of the Bar hammer to serve as a sight of sorts .( If Mark Twains view of such arms I found fairly correct ). as any ' Target Pepperboxes' would be greatly over billed at least my own practice didn't produced many tens or should I say a' figure of a man 'target would have to be a VERY rotund fellow.
Rudyard

Back