• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Molybdenum grease bore lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago moly coated bullets were all the rage, now you don’t see them. The reason being is it embeds into the bore and take much scrubbing to remove. I have a 7mm Rem mag in which I learned that lesson on. Never again!

Yes petroleum jelly and mineral oil work apparently there is something about their organic chemical makeup that is agreeable with Gun Powder fouling..
Pretty much if you can eat it you can use it with these two exceptions..
Caveat take it easy on the mineral oil it has "relaxing" results.
American Pioneer Powder will work with petroleum lubes just fine, and in fact, the fouling acts as a lubricant so shooting a bare ball works just fine no grease, no mess., no problem
Pyrodex I have no idea, never use it, don't have any, don't like it, don't get me started on that stuff.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

There is some complex organic chemistry that turns petroleum products reacting with Real Black Gunpowder fouling into a very difficult to remove tar.

And if you leave to set it takes a Dremel to remove, with the possibility of damaging the underlying metal.

Try B-12 Carb cleaner on that ML bore to get the diffucult stuff out after doing a regular cleaning job. Pour it in and immediately use a bronze bore brush. It comes in an aerosol or a pour can.

A warning, Don't get this stuff on your face on even close to your EYES!!!. be sure and wear the best eye protection you can afford, this stuff is an eye killer. and extremely flamable. It has Toluene along with other potent stuff. I have a retired LEO that uses B-12 for cleaning all his firearms.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get back on subject as far as molybdenum grease is concerned, it is the medium and not the moly.
Petroleum oils and greases do not work well with real Black Gun Powder residue.
There is some complex organic chemistry that turns petroleum products reacting with Real Black Gunpowder fouling into a very difficult to remove tar.
Please do not ask me how I know.
It was embarrassing...six brass bristle brushes later something was learned.
Bunk
Nothing like a water based product to keep a black powder arm clean. Hot soapy water cleaned em like a whistle. No need for any fancy lubes on these babies.
I use Bore Butter on the gas plates in my 1863 Sharps and have not had a fouling problem yet.

Please don't. Discussion of that kind of gun is not welcome on this forum.

I will have to refrain from telling people about my wonderful experience with the other guy, based on that I believe I will be a now loyal Pietta/Emf customer.
I get it no modern talk! I have a feeling the stuff I’m gonna be buying is going to be older anyway looks nicer comes from a better company and did I mention it looks nicer!

OK guys thank you lots of lovely suggestions a little confused about the use of petroleum oil so I’m just gonna leave that alone.

Now the devil did want me to ask how y’all feel about lard. Not necessarily that thar new fangled Crisco. I’m trying guys to keep it period appropriate. Forgive a new guy if he slips.

I personally I’m probably gonna end up buying some beeswax and I have Olive oil. Probably pick up some mint for nice little smell and even get some food coloring just so I can see the stuff a little better. Or not as I kind a like the yellow color of the beeswax very natural plus they didn’t have food coloring back in the day?! actually they did more natural variety though!

Goop or GoJo hand cleaner melts Black Powder and Pyrodex fouling. I live in a dry climate after cleaning my cap and ball revolvers with it leaves them lightly oiled no rust. I carry a small squeeze bottle of it to put a little on top of the loaded balls. Keeps the barrel clean. Keeps cylinder pins and arbors free of fouling no binding accuracy is great.

Read through all the posts wondering about climate being mentioned.
Lard or oil and beeswax mixtures that work great up by the Great Lakes leave something to be desired (and the chamber mouths) in warmer climes.

Read through all the posts wondering about climate being mentioned.
Lard or oil and beeswax mixtures that work great up by the Great Lakes leave something to be desired (and the chamber mouths) in warmer climes.
I can dig it! Warmer climate must be like trying to seal the chamber with ice cream. That is one of my worries even up here in Michigan we do have hotter days.

the stiffer the better to a point I think. Maybe lard or “equivalent“ during the winter? Beeswax and olive oil summers?

I just read a ton of posts on the people using That lard and “equivalent “ the thought of lard all over after I fire is not attractive. I just can’t see myself using any of that new butter too expensive.

I do want to attempt to keep it in the period which Should please administrators of the forum! 😊

I think I’m starting to get the gist of it though I’ve seen that lard substitute melt with not a lot of heat.

Molybdenum as a lubricant doesn't become effective until way past the temperature that the grease it is contained in fails. You'll never get a gun that hot unless it's a machine gun with a truckload of ammo. So there is no benefit to using it.

Beeswax and olive oil mix will withstand temperatures above 100 degrees, hotter than I can stand to be shooting in. It just needs to me mixed in the proper proportions. I have one mix for winter and one for summer.

Molybdenum as a lubricant doesn't become effective until way past the temperature that the grease it is contained in fails. You'll never get a gun that hot unless it's a machine gun with a truckload of ammo. So there is no benefit to using it.

Beeswax and olive oil mix will withstand temperatures above 100 degrees, hotter than I can stand to be shooting in. It just needs to me mixed in the proper proportions. I have one mix for winter and one for summer.
Sounds good to me. I’m the same 100 plus degrees and I’m inside. That’s why I moved from California to Michigan.
If the beeswax mix Withstand temperatures to 100° Before melting then it should work just fine. Thanks.

Goop or GoJo hand cleaner melts Black Powder and Pyrodex fouling. I live in a dry climate after cleaning my cap and ball revolvers with it leaves them lightly oiled no rust. I carry a small squeeze bottle of it to put a little on top of the loaded balls. Keeps the barrel clean. Keeps cylinder pins and arbors free of fouling no binding accuracy is great.

Gojo works on a lot of stuff, hands, golf balls, rakes and hoes, because it has a lot of pumice in it it works like a sandblaster. without the blowing air.

Gojo works on a lot of stuff, hands, golf balls, rakes and hoes, because it has a lot of pumice in it it works like a sandblaster. without the blowing air.

The stuff cleans great my old black bore brushes and toothbrush look like new after cleaning with hand cleaner. Works good as a pretreatment on stains before you wash. I don't use the hand cleaner with pumice in my guns. I want to try it as a patch lube. Handling Cap and Ball Revolvers – SUVCW Camp 22

Right now I am having trouble getting the no 10 caps and .454 balls. Selection here in Michigan is very poor. Lead balls I can get online but I am not paying 30 bucks for caps online. That’s 10 for the caps 20 for hazmat. I am going to call around some more.

Back