• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To sign or NOT to sign, that is the question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that mark would look great on one of your products that, like I say, was meant to represent a professionally made piece of the period, which you are certainly capable of making. Professionally made in the period certainly didn’t mean expensive. Just something you’d buy from a leather worker or a trader. Something like this one piece Lyman (top bag). A simple bag, easy to make, that would go just fine with a fine longrifle.
4A6CE696-EF55-4721-A09E-2E935801F20A.jpeg

Bob:
I'm terribly flattered, and very humbled to be inked in with guys of that professional caliber.
I have a nice manufactured MM for leather, but I had it made by a buddy in Czechoslovakia, and it looks manufactured, not to mention that it's about 1.25" wide, so it's a bit big for knife sheathes, bag n such, no, but knife sheathes definitely! Here's what my MM looks like on a customer's sheath, a small patch knife sheath. I hope you can see it well enough?
Thank you again for your inspiring words.
God bless:
Two Feathers
That is a professional and well constructed craftsman’s mark/signature. Two thumbs up!

I think that mark would look great on one of your products that, like I say, was meant to represent a professionally made piece of the period, which you are certainly capable of making. Professionally made in the period certainly didn’t mean expensive. Just something you’d buy from a leather worker or a trader. Something like this one piece Lyman (top bag). A simple bag, easy to make, that would go just fine with a fine longrifle.
View attachment 38751
Thanks Bob Much appreciated. Beautiful bag!!
View attachment 38751
Thanks Bob: Beautiful bag!!!
God bless:
Two Feathers

It's fine. You are too critical of your work buddy.
Who? Are you referring to me or Bob.
That is a professional and well constructed craftsman’s mark/signature. Two thumbs up!
Again, NorthFork: Are you talking to Me? I get a little cornfused with this Tech. stuff.
God bless:
Two Feathers

@Two Feathers

Yes I was talking to you when I said " it's fine you are too critical of your work'.
However you attributed a post from @Imacfrog to me. I have no idea who Imacfrog was referring to.

@Two Feathers

Yes I was talking to you when I said " it's fine you are too critical of your work'.
However you attributed a post from @Imacfrog to me. I have no idea who Imacfrog was referring to.
NorthFork: VERY sorry. Like I said I get a little confused with all this tech. stuff. Thanks for your kind comment and getting me straight.
Two Feathers

Signing your work has a long history and not just pn what we now consider "craft work". When I was in high school and working for an older local carpenter, he had us rebuild a small front porch for an elderly widow. Even though it was done free, he insisted that we put the same care into our work that would be expected on the most expensive job. Before he nailed the cap on the railing end post, he had us all sign the top of the post, wherelikely no one would ever see it. I don't recall him saying it, but his message was clear - if you did your best, you should be proud enough of it to take responsibility/claim it.

Decades later, during demo on a fire damage "century house", we stripped the plaster from an interior partition. On the back side (inside),was the penciled note, Plastering done by ***** and ****, and a date in the 1930's. Having done a bit more demo on older buildings, I've found enough similar "maker's marks" to believe it common practice. It just makes sense to me (but I was corrupted early). I value any signed object more highly than I do a similar unsigned tool or item. I don't believe I'm unique in that.

When I started forging, my first teacher told be to sign/stamp all of my work because it was made by me (no one else). Almost 20 years later, I still stamp every thing from my knives to my simple twisted barn hooks and hoof picks.

KW Mustang Donation .jpg
Exception...
My personal hunting knives (ones that I carry in my fanny pack or as a neck knife) are very plain with No Handle. They have become very popular probably because they are the same quality blade but 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. The problem is if guys want to finish them up, the quality of the end product doesn't match what I make. I don't care that the buyer wants to finish one of my blanks But I don't want others to think I did it!

Solution...
On my blank blades, I now stamp in the middle of the handle so if some one wants to finish it my stamp isn't seen....tippit

Signing your work has a long history and not just pn what we now consider "craft work". When I was in high school and working for an older local carpenter, he had us rebuild a small front porch for an elderly widow. Even though it was done free, he insisted that we put the same care into our work that would be expected on the most expensive job. Before he nailed the cap on the railing end post, he had us all sign the top of the post, wherelikely no one would ever see it. I don't recall him saying it, but his message was clear - if you did your best, you should be proud enough of it to take responsibility/claim it.

Decades later, during demo on a fire damage "century house", we stripped the plaster from an interior partition. On the back side (inside),was the penciled note, Plastering done by ***** and ****, and a date in the 1930's. Having done a bit more demo on older buildings, I've found enough similar "maker's marks" to believe it common practice. It just makes sense to me (but I was corrupted early). I value any signed object more highly than I do a similar unsigned tool or item. I don't believe I'm unique in that.
Flinty Scot:
Thank you for your story. It's very thought provoking. I appreciate the time you took to respond. It's always good to show the world (future generations) who made something. I'll be marking everything I make in the future, somehow?
I've found signtures on things here in our 1896 home UNDER the wall paper. While tearing out a closet once, I found names hand scrawled on timbers. Maybe NOT MM's, but it was still cool finding the names. Probably just bored kids? ;):dunno: They may not have even lived here? They might have just been playing on the construction site?
Thank you again.
God bless:
Two Feathers

When I started forging, my first teacher told be to sign/stamp all of my work because it was made by me (no one else). Almost 20 years later, I still stamp every thing from my knives to my simple twisted barn hooks and hoof picks.

View attachment 38822Exception...
My personal hunting knives (ones that I carry in my fanny pack or as a neck knife) are very plain with No Handle. They have become very popular probably because they are the same quality blade but 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. The problem is if guys want to finish them up, the quality of the end product doesn't match what I make. I don't care that the buyer wants to finish one of my blanks But I don't want others to think I did it!

Solution...
On my blank blades, I now stamp in the middle of the handle so if some one wants to finish it my stamp isn't seen....tippit
tippit;
Good idea, NICE work also. I never gave that a thought, but I only sell finished work. Now if 20 years down the road someone wants to tear a handle off a knife I made and replace it, then there's not much I can do about that, but my things will probably outlive their owner?
Thanks for your time my friend. Who made your stamp? It's tiny, but I can see it. I haven't stamped anything into my blades yet, but I may get a small stamp made by my buddy?
God bless:
Two feathers

One last thought, stamping or signing your work gives it a chronological time table. If people become interested in your work, they will be able to follow the development of your craftsmanship through the years. I tell buyers of my early knives that they will be worth more in 200 years than my fancy ones :)

Wow amazing work! I would now and have always preferred a signature or mark by the crafters of hand made goods. It along with the quality of the product shows the heart of the craftsperson. As far as size and placement I believe it is done most tastefully when it is visible on a secondary side (bottom of item or side someplace where you would have to look for it) and not large enough to where the mark takes the eye away from the piece.

As an example I knew someone who purchased a hand crafted wooden pipe once in Santa Cruz California. It was small but gorgeous and well done. Under neath the "bowl" of the pipe it was signed Da Crumba.

Someday I will see if you can craft a holster for me. Once I find my favorite of replica pistols I want to collect.

Wow amazing work! I would now and have always preferred a signature or mark by the crafters of hand made goods. It along with the quality of the product shows the heart of the craftsperson. As far as size and placement I believe it is done most tastefully when it is visible on a secondary side (bottom of item or side someplace where you would have to look for it) and not large enough to where the mark takes the eye away from the piece.

As an example I knew someone who purchased a hand crafted wooden pipe once in Santa Cruz California. It was small but gorgeous and well done. Under neath the "bowl" of the pipe it was signed Da Crumba.

Someday I will see if you can craft a holster for me. Once I find my favorite of replica pistols I want to collect.
Half-Cocked:
Thank you for your time. I appreciate every comment, even the occasional negative comment? I learn from EVERY one of them!
I'm honored that you like my work. I just had a Makers Mark Stamp made. It's only (7 mm) .275" tall but it will really "Make" my work! I believe, like you, that my mark should be large enough to be seen, yet small enough to be unobtrusive. I think my new stamp will fill that bill?
Thank you again.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Back