• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

static spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the last 25 or so years of my grandfather's life he was blind . He and some friends in the local SCV chapter did Civil War reenacting with a cannon built from one of Turner Kirkland's early steel lined iron 6 pounder barrels . They were firing the cannon at Frontier Days held at WENO (Radio Station ) Ranch outside of Nashville in the mid 60's . The powder to shoot the cannon was rolled up in Kyser Foil and stored in two wood dynamite boxes . You would insert a charge and stick the gimlet through it through the touch hole to allow the spark to get into the charge .

They had the two boxes of charges setting one on top of the other and several of the guys were standing around shooting the bull. My grandfather was wearing a sweater because the weather was kind of cool and had just rubbed his hand on the sweater when he reached into the box to remove a charge . He said sparks jumped from his fingers to the charge and it ignited setting the rest of them in the box off as well . Several people were injured . He had a broken arm and lost a Kidney and the use of both eyes due to cornea damage . There was some speculation that the radio towers and overhead high voltage wires may have played some part in the heavy static that set the powder off . I kind of doubt it but who knows . What I do know is in some situations static can set powder off . My grandfather was a gunsmith and had a lifetime of familiarity with muzzle loaders and black powder and he still did not anticipate this ever happening .

Eddie Southgate

There are some test results floating around the Internet which indicate static does not ignite BP...it takes heat to ignite BP like the red hot pieces of steel from a frizzen falling into the prime or hot flame from a cap to ignite the powder...but apparently the heat is either not there or is insufficient in a static spark...just passing on what I've seen/read about...not an authority on it.

However, BP supply houses carry packs of "plastic" reloading tubes made to carry premeasured powder or shot charges...as well as "plastic" so called speed-loaders that carry everything for a complete reload.

A cheap alternative is to get some free 35mm film canisters from most any photo developing place...I'd carry them inside a ziploc bag however in case one of them accidently pops open.
(I've used them for years to take a few dozen premeasured charges to the range)
They work great for shooting patches too

Back