• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I'll Never Hear Thunder . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Tobie said, we Brits call it ‘Capping Off”. All my BP firearms are capped off before live firing. Unless you need nipple hole sized wads I suggest brass rather than leather. I made a nipple protector from an old brass case. And, I don’t have ‘weapons’ I have guns, firearms, rifles etc. Semantics you might say but if I call them weapons, the retired Policeman who is my Firearms Officer would have kittens!

Enjoy your gun, thanks for sharing.

I thought about whether to use weapon or rifle. Finally went with weapon because the gun WAS loaded and could cause harm if not properly handled. Semantics? Maybe? Safety? In my mind absolutely!

I have had drilled into me to always treat a gun as if it is loaded. In this case, it was. Maybe over cautious but better than alternatives.

Definitely food for thought as perception plays a major role in how anything is viewed regardless of facts!

It is often the case here in UK that, if I harm an intruder I will probably be prosecuted. To have broken glass on my walls or razor wire, is and offence! My FEO was appalled that I had my collection of bayonets, one for each gun I own, where I could reach them. I am not allowed defensive 'weapons'. Yes, of course you are correct in your points about safety, we teach 'muzzle sweep' and 'always loaded' philosophy . Luckily, where I live, burglaries are rare but if I could legally keep a 'burgar stopper' handy I might.

Many feel the US is headed the way of many European countries in the manner in which firearms, knives, etc. are regulated. Being a history & government teacher, I would love to discuss the differences in the way firearms are viewed and why in our respective countries.

But that is not the purpose of my original post. It is a celebratory tale and nothing more! A political/ historical discussion is probably best in another forum or venue. Thanks for sharing though, because if we cannot learn from each other’s experiences then we cease to grow and better ourselves.

I did not mean to hijack your thread and I apologise for seeming to do so. I sometimes wish I lived in a country where enjoying my chosen sport was more acceptable. Long may you continue to enjoy your guns in freedom.

I did not mean to hijack your thread and I apologise for seeming to do so. I sometimes wish I lived in a country where enjoying my chosen sport was more acceptable. Long may you continue to enjoy your guns in freedom.
Please, I am not implying that you were hijacking the thread. I feel your frustration (as best I can). I just did not want the course of discourse to take a new direction, which in these highly politicized times is rather easy! 😁

Hardware store faucet washers come in a thick enough size to slip (push hard) over nipple and are hard enough to withstand the hammer slapping them without hitting the nipple. easy to use and last a long time.

It is often the case here in UK that, if I harm an intruder I will probably be prosecuted. To have broken glass on my walls or razor wire, is and offence! My FEO was appalled that I had my collection of bayonets, one for each gun I own, where I could reach them. I am not allowed defensive 'weapons'. Yes, of course you are correct in your points about safety, we teach 'muzzle sweep' and 'always loaded' philosophy . Luckily, where I live, burglaries are rare but if I could legally keep a 'burgar stopper' handy I might.

One may flay an intruder in Tennessee.

You are doomed. You have felt that "push to the shoulder" recoil, smelled the unmistakable scent of powder, and seen the spreading billows of white smoke. Next, you will find yourself experimenting with different amounts of powder, various patching materials and thicknesses, and obsessing with the smallest groups you can. Welcome to muzzleloading.

Welcome to the addiction!

It sounds like you got some info from the previous owner about what they used. Were all the components the same or just the powder charge?
If you're willing to share your load info the members here can help with a starting point for getting accuracy.
Kind of powder and granulation size.
Roundball size.
Patch thickness and type.
What lube, did you apply it yourself, or are you using pre-lubed store bought patches?
Shooting free hand or from some type of rest?
It may be best to shoot from a rest while practicing your trigger pull during live shooting. With a good rest it is much easier to hold steady and then apply pressure to the trigger until it goes off. It will surprise you when it goes off using this method, rather than you setting it off. When shooting free hand with no rest a person is more shaky, and a beginner tends to yank the trigger to set the gun off when the sights drift by the bulls eye. This is a great way to develop a flinch, and is tough to break once you have that habit.
I don't know what type of archery you have done, but if you shot a compound with a release the above would be similar to setting the bow off with back tension vs. command shooting (consciously setting it off).

I used the Pyrodex Select ( 3/4 pounds) he supplied with the rifle (80 grains). The ball was a .490 TC round lead ball. Patches were TC prelubed patches. I was shooting freehand. I did not shoot a compound with a release! I always shot recurve or longbows instinctively.

I tried coming down on the target resulting in a group of two high and right but on target. Also tried coming up on the target, which resulted in very low left (first two attempts). Other two shots were high clipping the top of target. Might try skipping the set trigger for now until I am more comfortable with the rifle. Found myself using the sights as a guide and shooting instinctively. Would a peep site help?

Any and all suggestion, would be appreciated.

welcome to the addictive world of blackpowder ... now that you're getting things 'figured out' (and it appears that you're well on your way), i would recommend the following to you:

http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
Dutch Schoultz is a very fine fellow, and this method is (to my mind) the best non shooting accessory you can buy. If you follow the method, your groups will shrink: Dutch guarantees it.

Make Good Smoke!

I've had the Weapon vs. Gun thing explained to me when I was going through NRA Instructor training.
The way it was explained to me was that, in the military (or possibly police too) small arms were called "weapons" because their primary intent was an anti-personnel usage. (Yes they had "guns" too, but those were crew-served.) As civilians, we don't typically engage in an anti-personnel mode, so we use the term "gun" to describe small arms used for sporting or other legal purposes as used by civilians.

When I was a Boy Scout range instructor, we had a "swear jar" on the range for every time one of the adults used the term "weapon" there in a non-military reference. It typically got a few bucks put in it every session, which of course, we used to get some beers afterwards (out of the Scout Camp of course).

Well the debate as too weapons being called guns brings back not so fond memories of Marine Corps boot camp especially when on the range qualifying, I can remember the fatal mistake of calling a rifle a gun. Lets just say the end result was running in circles holding my rifle over my head with one hand and yelling this is my rifle this is my gun. The rest is to graphic to put here but you old GRUNTS know what I mean. Fond memories.

Back