• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch stuck at bottom of barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was cleaning and oiling up my new Bess today and dumb me managed to get the patch to fall off the ramrod and it's now at the bottom of the barrel. Sure I'm not the first one. Any ways to get it out?
Put a little 4F in the pan, lean the gun over to the left s touch and gently tap the side of the gun to let some of the powder into the touch hole. Prime and fire. I mean, if you're at the range. Don't do this in your kitchen, lol.
Neil

I at one time before time existed , I cut the head off of a wood screw and DUCK taped it too my ramrod, worked fine. next I have also run a copper / brass cleaning brush down the barrel and VALLAH! but that was before time existed. so there as the guys have said there is mower than one way to skin a cat!! after you buy the right parts, don't forget the basics, toot.

I pushed an over powder wad down the barrel of my fowler once ahead of the powder. Noting on the face of the earth will pull a thin card off a breech face, I tried everything. I had to unbreech the gun to get it out.

@Grenadier1758

The tool resting on the trigger guard in your pic of accessories, what is it, where did you get it AND the tool has a small notch in it opposite the large screw driver bit. What is the small notch for? Thanks.

Was cleaning and oiling up my new Bess today and dumb me managed to get the patch to fall off the ramrod and it's now at the bottom of the barrel. Sure I'm not the first one. Any ways to get it out?
Smiling Fox Forge sells a nice worm/patch puller that screws onto the end of the Pedersoli Bess ram rod. I have one in my kit and it works really well.

@Grenadier1758

The tool resting on the trigger guard in your pic of accessories, what is it, where did you get it AND the tool has a small notch in it opposite the large screw driver bit. What is the small notch for? Thanks.
That tool is a variant of Larry Callahan's Multi Tool.
http://www.bagmolds.com/UNZIPPED/htdocs/1.shtmlMine was made by a friend of mine and we left off the vent pick and added the hole which fits over a wooden ramrod and will bind on the rod to act as a puller (as shown on the other multi tool supporting the ramrod). The notch is for knapping flints. Put the notch on the edge of the flint and twist to drive off a flake.

I would tell you how to pull the patch out ............................ but I can't think of anything not covered by everybody that beat me to the post. I would believe that some day in the year 2024, you will get a post or two from someone that has a 1/4 inch, 4 foot robotic arm with a pincer attachment that will do the trick nicely. Such is the great amount of people on this forum who just love helping others.

@Crow-Feather

Actually they DO make small 3/8" OD flexible coil shaft grabbers that have 3 or 4 small pinchers on the end and a T-handle on the other end. Come in 1' to 5 or 6' lengths. Would definitely grab a patch at the end of any mid to large bore rifled or smooth bore pistol or long arm. Can find them in industrial supply catalogs. Not that expensive either. See you didn't have to wait until 2024!

That's what your Worm is for; the "corkscrew" thing; put on threaded end of ramrod, and catch the patch with it; comes right up! (You must be a newbie!) Besses are neat, aren't they? Good shooting!

You need at least two modern 12 gauge kits to have a rod long enough to clean a 42" barrel on a Brown Bess.

Now my worm is a bit of a generic size, but the ball of tow will attach firmly to the tines and won't get lost especially if I tie a string around the tow and can pull the ball of tow out if it becomes untangled.

Yeah, already tried a shotgun kit and found out it wasn't long enough :/

I will definetley get a worm. Should I get a jag as well? Or would I be able to more or less use the worm for the same thing as well? It's just I can't seem to find the proper jag anywhere online.

That's what your Worm is for; the "corkscrew" thing; put on threaded end of ramrod, and catch the patch with it; comes right up! (You must be a newbie!) Besses are neat, aren't they? Good shooting!

Yeah I am a total newbie haha. Don't have any of those unfortunately, no jags or worms came with my musket. Found out the hard way I have to get them. And yeah they sure are, can't wait to take it out shooting.

Track of the Wolf, Possibles Shop, Log Cabin Shop, October Country to name a few.

I think I have one rattling around. I’ll check and if I do I’ll send it out to you free of charge. Give me a few.

Yep. I knew I’d seen a .75 lately. It came in a set I just got in the mail from Track yesterday. It’s 10/32 so you may need an adapter. PM me if you want it.
57CF4E64-947B-4E73-B8AA-39D1B89F1E1C.jpeg

I think that every one of us on the forum has lost a patch and had to retrieve it or will eventually loose a patch down their barrel.

A patch puller (worm) that threads onto your ramrod is an essential accessory. Not only will it pull errant patches, but you can wrap a ball of tow in the tines and scrub the bore most effectively.

I have used a section of clothes hangar and twisted it around my ram rod about 8 turns. I backed it out for abut two or three turns and sharpened the tip. I ran the ramrod to the patch twisted it in the direction to thread the patch on the wires and pulled the patch out.

A CO2 ball discharger will work too, but the section of coat hanger is far more economical.

A look at some of my accessories. The worm is in the center of the picture.

View attachment 38436
Bradly_tx said---"I like the squirrel cooker idea(fork). Gonna make me one! Thanks for sharing Grenadierđź‘Ť "

So is the two tine pitchfork something to cook squirrels on??? What ever it is it looks deadly :ghostly: :dunno:

Back