• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To sign or NOT to sign, that is the question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craftsmen have been putting their mark on their work for centuries so why would you not? If I could do the work you do, I’d be proud to sign it. Don’t stop!
Crane Senior:
Thank you. I take pride in my work, but I don't think I'm anything special. I try hard to just be good at what I do? If people like my work enough to "collect" it, then I'm humbled by that.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy folks Two Feathers here with an opinion related question?
Recently, I was asked by a member of one of the BP websites; to NOT sign my work for a couple of different reasons. I'm wondering what the consensus of opinion is on that here? I try very hard to do good work and I was proud of that fact, until this? I don't want to come off as arrogant or egotistical, but I thought some folks would like having me sign my work? Maybe I assumed TOO much? In any event, I'd like to know what y'all think about my quandary. I take NO offense at ANY comment regardless of your viewpoint. Comments are welcomed, they are how I decide future actions. I'd like to hear from you folks on this, before I go on signing my wares if the act is undesirable?
If this sounds like me looking for praise, it isn't. I'd like to think that folks know me better than that? I just don't want to offend anyone who spends their hard earned money on my wares/knives, IF they don't want me to burn my Two Feathers signature into the item somewhere? I'll happily stop if it offends folks?
Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your time and comments.
God bless:
Two Feathers
We have four of your products some are signed. Wish all were signed, as they are all top of the line.
Sandhill Jack

Hi Jack:
I'm sorry I didn't sign them all, and thank you for your kind words. I know you have a camp knife, a Nessmuk, a Ball starter, and a neck knife. Was there anything else? You're like a one man sporting goods store; filled with my wares. :thumb:;)
I can't thank you enough for your support. I wish I had signed them all. Again, I'm sorry.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Hi Jack:
I'm sorry I didn't sign them all, and thank you for your kind words. I know you have a camp knife, a Nessmuk, a Ball starter, and a neck knife. Was there anything else? You're like a one man sporting goods store; filled with my wares. :thumb:;)
I can't thank you enough for your support. I wish I had signed them all. Again, I'm sorry.
God bless:
Two Feathers
LOL - This is evolution!
You have gone from asking if it is a good ting that you sign your work to apologizing for NOT signing a few pieces.
I do believe that your fans have answered you - :horseback: You are heading the right way! Keep on riding!

LOL - This is evolution!
You have gone from asking if it is a good ting that you sign your work to apologizing for NOT signing a few pieces.
I do believe that your fans have answered you - :horseback: You are heading the right way! Keep on riding!
Griz44Mag:
Thank you for getting me squared away. Yeah, I guess I AM kinda' screwed up when it comes to asking for approval. LOVE the icon and advice.
However, I'm still in a bit of a Quandary? I have folks saying to keep my signature tasteful, simple, and of a type that is accurate for the time period that I'm trying to emulate, 1700's Mountain Man Fur trapper. Then other folks are telling me to use my Manufactured logo stamp? I know everyone is interested in helping me and I appreciate that very much. My problem is: I highly doubt that in the 17& 1800's anyone had an elaborate "CNC machine made" makers mark stamp? Can someone please help me get straight on these suggestions to avoid future mistakes and buying a new makers mark stamp? I guess we're off on another opinion poll? I truly do not want to tie up the V&M forum with my piddly questions, and everyone here has been tremendously helpful, but I'm still kinda' lost?
Thank you.
Help!!!
Two Feathers

Where you don’t do your regular signature I’d do something like ‘IIF’, 2F, or carve a pair of small rudimentary feathers. I really like the idea of a few different ones. I like your signature for late fur trade, and maybe the small stick figure one for Colonial period. Just throwing that into the pit.

Thanks Bob:
I'll definitely give that a mull. When you say you "like my signature for the late fur trade." Which signature are you referring to?
I think I can handle a stick figure. But maybe not? :dunno:
Two Feathers

The signature I normally see. Not sure if it’s your regular but the full ‘two feathers’ carved or burned in.
OK... that's the makers mark I got from my buddy in the Cheque republic. I don't use it that often because it's a bit bigger and is hard to fit in sometimes. I'm thinking about making one with just the 2 feathers on it? I think I can cast one from this one, then mahine away the writing leaving just the 2 feathers?
Thank Bob.
Two Feathers

OK... that's the makers mark I got from my buddy in the Cheque republic. I don't use it that often because it's a bit bigger and is hard to fit in sometimes. I'm thinking about making one with just the 2 feathers on it? I think I can cast one from this one, then mahine away the writing leaving just the 2 feathers?
Thank Bob.
Two Feathers

No, I meant the one you write. Sorry for the confusion, I’m down with a cold today so probably not making sense.

Bob:
GET OFF THAT NYQUIL!!! Oh..OK. now I know which one you meant.
Get feeling better buddy. I noticed you sniffling on your Wiping stick video. I thought maybe allergies?
Get better soon.
Stay safe buddy:
Two Feathers

Artisans have put their mark to their handy work since .... well since man learned to 'make their mark'.
Midlevel days I have heard black smiths put their mark to armor.

To have a maker's mark proves the item's authenticity, and as mentioned avoids 'fakes'. In my own opinion it also helps me remember who made it when I take to showing it off or simply if someone asks.

On that note however, I would not like a fine piece that was so marked as to where; if in camp or on a firing range someone might be admiring something I have and walk up to me and say "How are you doing Two Feathers?", or have someone who dont know me see it and think "he must have stolen that from Two Feathers!".

Sorry I dont own any of your work (hopefully one day) so I dont personally know your 'mark'. But I do have a, for example, a throwing knife and hawk; i know who made it and even if i forget I can show people his 'mark' if ever asked "Fine piece, where did you get it?"

On the other hand, I have a very well made Slim Jim holster (sorry, blasphemy please forgive), and the maker carved (in leather) his company name rather large and very noticeable. In my own opinion that made it look very commercial. But as I dont have the supplies or tools for something that well made (and other modern makers are doing it too), I paid for it then rubbed and worked it out - nothing like going to a gun fight with a Levi's Logo prominently shown 'in your face' on your main piece.

But with that said, I would say to All artisans; Make your mark, be Proud!!

(and yes, I have and do make 'stuff', and I know the feeling when you find someone passing off Your work as their own....I will shut up now as that is a sore spot for me...)

Power to you Two Feathers, be Proud of your work. If someone 'needs' your work without your mark, offer commission work...maybe he/she has a legit reason.

Artisans have put their mark to their handy work since .... well since man learned to 'make their mark'.
Midlevel days I have heard black smiths put their mark to armor.

To have a maker's mark proves the item's authenticity, and as mentioned avoids 'fakes'. In my own opinion it also helps me remember who made it when I take to showing it off or simply if someone asks.

On that note however, I would not like a fine piece that was so marked as to where; if in camp or on a firing range someone might be admiring something I have and walk up to me and say "How are you doing Two Feathers?", or have someone who don't know me see it and think "he must have stolen that from Two Feathers!".

Sorry I dont own any of your work (hopefully one day) so I don't personally know your 'mark'. But I do have a, for example, a throwing knife and hawk; i know who made it and even if i forget I can show people his 'mark' if ever asked "Fine piece, where did you get it?"

On the other hand, I have a very well made Slim Jim holster (sorry, blasphemy please forgive), and the maker carved (in leather) his company name rather large and very noticeable. In my own opinion that made it look very commercial. But as I dont have the supplies or tools for something that well made (and other modern makers are doing it too), I paid for it then rubbed and worked it out - nothing like going to a gun fight with a Levi's Logo prominently shown 'in your face' on your main piece.

But with that said, I would say to All artisans; Make your mark, be Proud!!

(and yes, I have and do make 'stuff', and I know the feeling when you find someone passing off Your work as their own....I will shut up now as that is a sore spot for me...)

Power to you Two Feathers, be Proud of your work. If someone 'needs' your work without your mark, offer commission work...maybe he/she has a legit reason.
Mad L:
Thank you for your advice, and commentary accompaniment. I'm kinda' like you. I'd like a signature, but NOT a huge one. I'm glad you were able to remove (rub out) that large makers mark. That would have PO'd me, I know. I don't really have a "makers mark" per se'. I just use an expensive wood burning pen, left over from my bird carving days, to burn my Two Feathers name into my work when possible It's about impossible to do it on Bone or Antler, so I engrave those with a Dremel and ink the engraving.

As for requesting an item WITHOUT your signature or makers mark. I can only think of one reason for that, as nefarious as it is. Someone is trying to pass off your work for their own? I want to be more optomistic about the humanity in people, but I think (given the nature of a lot of folks these days), that's a pretty standard reason.
Maybe one day you'll be a customer of mine?
Well, I'd best git?
Thank you again.
God bless:
Two Feathers

If you've made it and are proud of it sign it, I'd rather have something that some one had put enough effort and skill into to want it to be known that they had made it rather than just another anonymous item of a shelf
Absolutely. It doesn't have to be a billboard but maybe something engraved on the bottom of the barrel . Name and year and maybe the build number. There are some beautiful creations out there every bit as good (if not better) that will be around for a couple centuries. The nicer the gun, the longer they live. It would be nice to know who built it.

Absolutely. It doesn't have to be a billboard but maybe something engraved on the bottom of the barrel . Name and year and maybe the build number. There are some beautiful creations out there every bit as good (if not better) that will be around for a couple centuries. The nicer the gun, the longer they live. It would be nice to know who built it.
Capnball:
Thanks. Very much appreciate your viewpoint.
I've gotten a LOT of great answers to my question here.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Latest posts

Back