• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Center Arms .45 Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48330

32 Cal
Reaction score
My husband's father recently gave him a flintlock rifle that we're hoping to learn more about. It has a four-digit serial number, begining with a 4 (4XXX). Can anyone give us an idea of its approximate age? His Dad has owned it for years, but wasn't able to tell us much about its history. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_194837339~3.jpg
    IMG_20200708_194837339~3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20200729_145257272.jpg
    IMG_20200729_145257272.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20200708_192654253~2.jpg
    IMG_20200708_192654253~2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 128
Welcome to the Forum, lots of information here.

Apparently Thompson-Center had a fire several years ago so there’s no real evidence of age other than early numbers should mean they were built earlier...

Good Luck in your search.

Does your Husband plan on shooting the gun?

I hope so, they’re great guns.

Thompson Center began making the Hawken in 1970 so, based on the low serial number of this rifle I am guessing it was made not later than 1972.
The TC Hawken was a very popular rifle at the time it wouldn't surprise me to find it was made in 1971.

I think you are real close to the age, Zonie. I have a kit I purchased in the mid 70 and it has a K5XXX number and I don't think Thompson made the kits right away.

I also noticed on Michele's pictures of the rifle that it appears the rear set trigger has been removed.

Welcome to the Forum, lots of information here.

Apparently Thompson-Center had a fire several years ago so there’s no real evidence of age other than early numbers should mean they were built earlier...

Good Luck in your search.

Does your Husband plan on shooting the gun?

I hope so, they’re great guns.
My husband isn't a hunter, but I suspect he'll enjoy some target shooting with it. It's a beautiful gun. :)

I think you are real close to the age, Zonie. I have a kit I purchased in the mid 70 and it has a K5XXX number and I don't think Thompson made the kits right away.

I also noticed on Michele's pictures of the rifle that it appears the rear set trigger has been removed.
As someone who doesn't know much about muzzleloaders, I have what may be a silly question. Is the missing trigger a big issue, as in expensive to fix?

I just fixed one.. If you only need the trigger its probably $10 to $15. If the spring is missing it would be another $10 to $15.. You can make the pin out of an 8D finish nail. If I recall it fires without the set trigger. If you need parts call these guys. - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium - Call them as all parts are not in the online catalog. Good luck.

Dave

I just fixed one.. If you only need the trigger its probably $10 to $15. If the spring is missing it would be another $10 to $15.. You can make the pin out of an 8D finish nail. If I recall it fires without the set trigger. If you need parts call these guys. - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium - Call them as all parts are not in the online catalog. Good luck.

Dave
Good to know... thank you!

I really appreciate everyone's help and information... thank you! :)

Since it was a gift, he'll probably never part with it, but can any of you offer a ballpark value? I'm the curious one, haha.

It's really hard to quote a price especially on MLs. There are many factors in play, not just the condition of the ML but the area you are in, time of year, caliber and it goes on and on. MLs tend to disappear right before hunting season so prices go up. Yours is a 45 which they(TC) don't make or at least in the Hawken and it's an early one in good shape so might add to the worth. Just a guess but I'd say about $300 give or take about $50. If yours works with just the single trigger, I would just use it that way.

As someone who doesn't know much about muzzleloaders, I have what may be a silly question. Is the missing trigger a big issue, as in expensive to fix?
There is a good chance your father-in-law just didn’t care for the set trigger. Removed parts could be in a draw or lost. If you think your husband will be shooting the gun, it would be nice to have use of the set trigger. Rather than spend $20 or $30 on parts to ‘repair’ the one on the gun, you can order a very nice replacement trigger for $50. It’s called the ‘Deerslayer Trigger’ and it’s made my the RE Davis Company. Welcome | RE Davis Company: Historical Reproductions, Books, & Videos. This considered by most people to be an upgrade over the factory trigger.

One more thing, has anyone confirmed that the gun is not loaded? Don’t know if you and your husband are familiar with muzzleloaders, but if not, you cannot tell if they are loaded by just looking at them. An easy way to tell with your husband’s gun would to run the ramrod down the barrel and see how much it sticks out of the bore. The ramrod on this gun should be 28-1/2” long, and will stick out about 1” from the bore if the gun is empty. Assumes the barrel length is standard, about 29” from end to end.

Something you need to check, as more than one gun has been put away loaded and forgotten about.

Back