• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To sign or NOT to sign, that is the question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two feathers, this is just my opinion: If you have a makers mark, use it. Spelling out "Made By Two Feathers" takes up a fair amount of space, depending on how large the lettering is. Scrimshaw the mark on horns, or anything that cannot be stamped.

I’d like to offer an opinion from another perspective. I have seen a few well-made new pieces mis-attributed as “original” or historic pieces, because there was no maker’s mark. It is responsible and ethical to always include a maker’s mark to help other’s authenticate someone’s work.

I see no issue at all with a makers signature on his work. Having acquired a couple of your fine wares, I thought the “Two Feathers” signature was a very nice touch!

As was stated above, I do not think it is the signature so much as it is the size and placement. A prominent yet discrete ( if you know what I mean) “makers mark” would add to the aesthetics of a piece while a signature scrawled across a piece could be distracting in the eyes of some people. If your “mark” and signature were unobtrusive it could add to the piece.

Maintain your signature. I see it represents the pride you take in your creative work. Let a buyer make the choice of "to buy - or not to buy."

I like to have the maker's signature on my equipment. Somewhat aligned with your designs, I have a hand-forged knife with the maker's first name initial engraved in the blade. For a three-inch blade, the initial is within a 3/16" x 4/16" rectangle. For my axe, the maker uses an image representative of his business. It measures to be a 7/16" square showing an anvil with crossed handles of a knife and axe on top of it.

Both are discrete and beautifully made. Without the maker's mark, I wouldn't have bought these.

Full circle, @Two Feathers . Maintain your signature. :thumb:
~wiksmo

Yep, sign it. The signature is part of the piece in my opinion. If I bought something custom handmade, I would expect the makers mark somewhere on it, it proves a man is proud of his work and thought enough of it to want people years from now to know who made it. I have signed or marked everything that I have ever made for anyone.

Sir, over the years I have bought of had custom work done on guns, knives etc. Most had some type of mark or signature by the person doing the work. An old friend that has passed stopped marking his work because someone ask. His mark wasn't offensive and to me added to his work, didn't take anything away from it. Whatever this person said that caused him to stop using his mark was foolish. It robbed myself and others from that point on of having his mark on the things he did. To ask someone to stop using or making their mark is selfish. Just don't buy it if you don't like it. Sir, your mark is part of your product. It is not finished without it.

Hey 2f, firstly, to your original question, yes, always put a mark on your work.

I think you and I have spoken on this briefly, but I’ll lay out my thoughts. I find your ‘mark’ interesting, unique, and it gives your items a late frontier feel to them I find appealing. ‘Mountain Man’, so to speak. I think a large percentage of people don’t mind a big mark on their handmade accoutrements, and think, as I do, it’s just part of having one of your items. That said, dealing with the other, unknown percentage (and finding out how big a percentage they are) who prefer a smaller mark is basically going to be a business decision for you. Perhaps you could do a limited ‘line’ of products for the guys who are going for a different aesthetic and see how it does? I think that’s the best way to find out how much business you may be leaving behind and if it’s worth catering to. You’re the brand, so I think the question is, “are you happy with it?” I’d be interested to see if you got a boost by test running a different mark, but that’s the sort of thing I’d always be second guessing if it were me.

Last edited:
To one and all:
Thank you all very much for your input. It has helped me decide to continue signing my work. I never looked at it from the perspective that some of you folks do, and I appreciate your time very much. Some of these replies took me by surprise to be honest. I won't go into why.

I'm sorry for not replying to each person individually, but I'm old. My eyes don't work that well and I can't sit at the computer for long periods of time these days. AND.. I didn't realize that there was a second page of comments? That in itself amazed me.

In response: I do have a makers mark, but it's somewhat larger and more modern than I think it should be? I think it might look gaudy or non-PC? I had a friend in the Cheque republic make it for me. You may have seen it on some of my work? It looks like this. It measures 1.25" across the outside and 1.375" top to bottom. It works fine on leather, but I have no way to apply it on a horn or antler item? I have stencils that I use to Electronically etch my 2 Feathers onto my blades, but here again, rather large.
Thank you again very much for your kind; supportive, and reinforcing comments:
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• Two Feathers logo.jpg
    Two Feathers logo.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 110
late frontier feel to them I find appealing. ‘Mountain Man’, so to speak
You touch on something important here that I have been avoiding bringing up. There seems to be some confusion between "late" fur trade, thinking Rocky Mountain fur trappers, "Mountain Man," and the colonial fur trade of the 1700s. What is pc for one is not necessarily so for the other. I see goods being advertised as, "that retains that 1700’s Fur Trade era look," but are really p.c. for the Rocky Mountain fur trade era, and very nice for that.
As such I think the logo presented looks really good. But, for an item for colonial times, "1700's fur trade," it would be a bit off.

Brokennock:
Thank you for your observation. I'll be more careful in the future"that retains that 1700’s Fur Trade era look," when I write my ads. I really try to cater to the Rockies; Mountain Men (hence my store name) fur trade time period! I'd LOVE nothing more than to be perfect in every PC detail pertaining to the Mountain Man fur trade era. What would be the correct time frame for the MM fur trade era?
God bless:
Two Feathers

It's your work, your display of fine craftsmanship.
You are proud of your products, and those pieces are already becoming sought after collectors items.
Stand proud, sign your art.
As mentioned above, if that person wants to commision a piece that is not signed, then it would be your choice to make it and charge an extra fee for an unsigned item....

It's your work, your display of fine craftsmanship.
You are proud of your products, and those pieces are already becoming sought after collectors items.
Stand proud, sign your art.
As mentioned above, if that person wants to commision a piece that is not signed, then it would be your choice to make it and charge an extra fee for an unsigned item....
WHOOOOA!! Did NOT know that, thank you! I figured folks just wanted a good knife? I don't know if I could bring myself to charge someone extra, for NOT signing something?:dunno:
Two Feathers

Latest posts

Back