• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is 70 grains 3f enough umph

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a 65 grain charge of 3F and a .440" prb from my 32" barrel will kill a deer (through and through shot) cleanly at 75 yards then 70 grains in even larger bores will do the same. My favorite load in my .54 is only 60 grains of 3F.
THAT SEEMS LIGHT TO ME, BUT YOU HAVE BEEN HUNTING SUCESSFULY WITH IT AND, THEREFORE. I BOW TO YOU.
THANKS FOR THE GLIMPSE INTO YOUR THINKING.
DUTCH

Evening everone, new here and really into this topic. great reading and plenty of helpful knowledge
from yall. would like to know what others thoughts are on using a mix of ffg and fffg 50/50 mix then
use a 70 grain load???

Evening everone, new here and really into this topic. great reading and plenty of helpful knowledge
from yall. would like to know what others thoughts are on using a mix of ffg and fffg 50/50 mix then
use a 70 grain load???
I CAN THINK OF NO POINT INUSING A FIFTY/FIFTY 2FF AND 3FFF MIX.IT WOULD LACK THE ADVANTAGES OF BOTH POWDERS FOR NO GAIN. IF THERE WERE ANY ADVANTAFE IN DOING SO IT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LONG AGO

TO MAKE YOUR QUESTION MORE INTERESTING I WOULD SUGGEST YOU FIRE F ROUNDS OF 2FF AT ONE TARGET, FIVE ROUNDS OF 3FF AT ANOTHER TARGET AND 5 ROUNDS OF YOUR MIX AT A THIRD TARGET.
ALL TARGETS THE SAME, ALL BENCH REST AND ALL AT 50 YARDS
IF LOGIC PREVAILED HERE THE TARGET FIRED WITH THE MIX WOULD SORT OF BE AN AVERAGE TARGET OF THE OTHER TWO.
WHAT DO YOU OTHER MAVENS THINK THE EXPERIMENT WILL SHOW?
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

Either alone is adequate. There can be more difference between two different brands of ff or two different brands of fff than between a same brand ff or fff. Really not much point or useful effect to be achieved by such a mix.

Dutch, we were typing and posting at the same time. :)

FWIW, I think the three targets would be near indistinguishable.

I CAN THINK OF NO POINT INUSING A FIFTY/FIFTY 2FF AND 3FFF MIX.IT WOULD LACK THE ADVANTAGES OF BOTH POWDERS FOR NO GAIN. IF THERE WERE ANY ADVANTAFE IN DOING SO IT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LONG AGO

TO MAKE YOUR QUESTION MORE INTERESTING I WOULD SUGGEST YOU FIRE F ROUNDS OF 2FF AT ONE TARGET, FIVE ROUNDS OF 3FF AT ANOTHER TARGET AND 5 ROUNDS OF YOUR MIX AT A THIRD TARGET.
ALL TARGETS THE SAME, ALL BENCH REST AND ALL AT 50 YARDS
IF LOGIC PREVAILED HERE THE TARGET FIRED WITH THE MIX WOULD SORT OF BE AN AVERAGE TARGET OF THE OTHER TWO.
WHAT DO YOU OTHER MAVENS THINK THE EXPERIMENT WILL SHOW?
DUTCH SCHOULTZ
THINKING WHAT DIFFERING LOADS WILL DO IS USUALLY A BIG WASTE OF TIME.
THE ONLY WAY TO JUDGE WHAT A RIFLE WILL DO IS TO SEE WHAT IT DOES TO A TARGET. THAT'S THE ONLY PURPOSE OF FIRING THE RIFLE IN THE FIRST PLACE. WE CAN SPECULATE ON WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE ADD HIS OR CHANGE THAT, BUT ALL SPECULATION IS MEANINGLESS. THE TEST FIRING WILL TELL US ALL.
DUTCH

The question really is does 70gs provide accuracy.

That's really the only question that matters. IMO.

I now hunt where a 75-100 yard shot is not out of the question

So! I hunt where a 1000 yard shot is not out of the question, doesn't mean I'm going to attempt that shot with my muzzleloader. You have to hunt within your limits and the gun's limits.

35583.jpg

Nice avatar. :thumb:

Dutch, we were typing and posting at the same time. :)

FWIW, I think the three targets would be near indistinguishable.
OH THE MIX MIGHT BE HIGHER THAN THE 2FF BUT LOWER THAN THE THREEFFF.
THIS IS JUST YOUR AND MY SPECULATION. OM;Y THE TARGETS WIL TELL.I HOPE ALL SHOTS ARE BENCH REST SO THEY ALL HAVE THE ADVANTAGE OF THAT PROCESS.
EXPERIMENTS SUCH AS THIS USUALLY ASSUME THAT THE SUGGESTER OF THE EXPERIMENT IS LONG PASSED THE SEARCH FOR ACCURACY AND IS NOW CONTEMPLATING SOME OTHER ASPECT OF SHOOTING.
I REALLY CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT HE SHOWSUS IN A WEEK'S TIME, BLIZZARDS PERMITTING.
DUTCH

I use 2 1/2 F target shooting only for the reason that it pours out of my powder dispenser easier. The coarser grains of 2F were jamming the spout and I'd have to tap it against the edge of the measure usually resulting in spillage.
I've done it for so long now, I know exactly how much each of my rifles like at different distances. 40 gr. of 2 1/2 F In my .45 TC got me 2cnd place at my club shoot yesterday!

I use 2 1/2 F target shooting only for the reason that it pours out of my powder dispenser easier. The coarser grains of 2F were jamming the spout and I'd have to tap it against the edge of the measure usually resulting in spillage.
I've done it for so long now, I know exactly how much each of my rifles like at different distances. 40 gr. of 2 1/2 F In my .45 TC got me 2cnd place at my club shoot yesterday!
THE QUESTION "IS 70 GRAINS ETC..IS NOT A GOOD ONE BECAUSE THERE IS NO MENTION OF THE CALIBER.

IF YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT A .30 RIFLE THAT WOULLD BE A HELL OF A CHARGE. IF IT WERE A VERY LARGE CALIBER IT MIGHT BE A TAD LIGHT
I USED 73 GRAINS OF 2FF FOR BOTH 50 AND 100 YARDS
DUTCH

Just an interesting observation - I've noted several comments regarding pass through RB penetration and a short post-impact travel distance using lower/medium powder charges. The .54 Hawken balls below were recovered from Whitetail bucks, shot broadside at about 50 - 60 yards. Both balls were found just under the hide on the off side, indicating complete energy transfer to the target. The bucks either dropped instantly or within a few steps. These balls were seated over 125 grains FF.
Based on the severe flattening of the balls I am assuming that perhaps at higher velocity, increased ball deformation may act to reduce penetration due to increased frontal surface area and resistance. The elastic hide then acts as sort of a catchers mitt.
View attachment 21643
View attachment 21644
Good observation. My results bring same conclusion. Polecat

Latest posts

Back