• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what is considered a good collection of BP revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stub-nose cap and balls are a full on modern look. The Colt 1862 police is very stylish , the Walker or dragoon is the brute of revolvers.

I have a 1858 remington and 1951 navy colt (both Pieta) and would like to get a good collection of BP revolvers. Should I go for a pocket or a walker or some other to make a good selection of revolvers. Maybe a snub-nose?

If I were you, I would buy what you like, not what someone else says, you are paying for it.

I have a 1858 remington and 1951 navy colt (both Pieta) and would like to get a good collection of BP revolvers. Should I go for a pocket or a walker or some other to make a good selection of revolvers. Maybe a snub-nose?

The answer is "Yes", and whatever else trips your trigger. Like an 1863 Remington pocket, a Dragoon, and that hardest to find of repros, a Colt Root. Maybe go for a Lemat as well, and in that price range there are even true original Colts and Remingtons in shooter shape available as well.

Of course you could add a Starr and Rogers & Spencer to the mix.

I'm somewhat of an opportunist and am apt to buy any cap and ball revolver that seems to be a good deal if it presents itself. I shoot and use mine and then don't need be pristine. I also don't want a piece of junk either. The options for collecting even replica cap and balls is extensive. Get what you like.

If you are not careful you will start collecting by accident, and at reasonable prices, instead of retail. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Be warned. Wanting "a good collection of BP revolvers" can get out of hand.

pistols-002.jpg

That's what mine looked like before an anal orifice broke into my house and stole 12 of them.

Not sure what a ‘bad’ collection would look like, if a bad one is even possible. So any group of two or more BP revolvers would be a good collection in my opinion. Why are you collecting BP revolvers? To shoot? Hang on a wall? Are you thinking about originals, or limiting yourself to replicas?

Buy what you like when it’s available. It’s your collection.

IMHO, you "need" ;) at least one Confederate Colt 1851 Navy .36 "copy".

These are my Piettas:

Augusta Machine Works with a 12-stop-slot plain cylinder.

Leech & Rigdon and Schneider & Glassick.

1862 J.H. Dance & Brothers.

Rigdon & Ansley and Griswold & Gunnison.

The G&G is currently marketed while the Dance was a one-year run (1996). The rest are parts guns. The only thing not available is the 12-stop-slot cylinder which I had my machinist next-door neighbor mill 6 extra stop slots/approaches using two plain cylinders with no safety pins. All parts are Pietta manufacture.

This is my avatar with the Dance and R&A. Not politically correct these days but refers to the era when the originals were made.

Regards,

Jim

Well, we're all crazy for loving these antique anacronisms, so just please yourself. They all have their quirks and different strokes for different folks, and what You like will determine your collection. But they are all fun to shoot and take a lot of years off the soul.

Each collection is unique....get what you want and enjoy what you get. You could stick to caliber, maker, etc. or buy all different kinds.

Unless you just prefer to buy one NIB occasionally it can fall on what you come across. I've purchased several from pawn shops. Didn't need them but like new and a steal. One 1858 I later found a target frame for later. Will make a standard 1858 out of its frame from parts as I find them.
Some create a collection on purpose. Some just fall in to it.

IMHO, you "need" ;) at least one Confederate Colt 1851 Navy .36 "copy".

These are my Piettas:

Augusta Machine Works with a 12-stop-slot plain cylinder.

Leech & Rigdon and Schneider & Glassick.

1862 J.H. Dance & Brothers.

Rigdon & Ansley and Griswold & Gunnison.

The G&G is currently marketed while the Dance was a one-year run (1996). The rest are parts guns. The only thing not available is the 12-stop-slot cylinder which I had my machinist next-door neighbor mill 6 extra stop slots/approaches using two plain cylinders with no safety pins. All parts are Pietta manufacture.

This is my avatar with the Dance and R&A. Not politically correct these days but refers to the era when the originals were made.

Regards,

Jim
You're politically correct in my house, my g grandaddy fought for Arkansas in the Cavalry and had no slaves and lived out the war.

My suggestion would be- buy what you like and don't pass up a bargain even if you already have one in your collection. Personally, I only have an 1860 Colt replica and an 1858 Remington, of course a replica also. I want to add a Walker, a Confederate or three, and/or a .31 as well as a .36 cal to my collection.

Latest posts

Back